Chapter 47

We all stand around and look at the bottles of water sitting in the middle of the road before us. A note was left on top, supposedly from a friend. Belle stands in front of me and I hold her shoulder, looking around for anybody when there's a rustling in the bush. Daryl walks out and Rick walks towards him, the note in hand. I watch as Daryl reads it and looks around, pulling his crossbow off his back.

"What else are we gonna do?" Tara asks, her eyes locked on the bottles of water.

"Not this. We don't know who left it." Rick says, looking around once again.

"If that's a trap, we already happen to be in it. But I for one would like to think it is indeed from a friend." Eugene states, his eyes on the water.

"But if it isn't, they put something in it." Carol counters, stating the danger.

Suddenly Eugene steps forward and picks up a bottle, "Eugene." We all say worried.

"What are you doing?" I ask, watching as he takes off the lid.

"Quality assurance." He says, going to take a sip.

Abraham storms forward and slaps the bottle out of his hand, the water spraying everywhere. Abraham gives Eugene a look of contempt before stepping back into his place.

Rick glares at Eugene, "We can't."

I hear the faint sound of thunder and I look up to see clouds rolling over us. Suddenly water begins to fall. It doesn't feel real at first, like its a dream. But as I feel the liquid seep into my clothes and onto my dirty skin I realise it's real. I let out a delighted laugh and raise my hands in the air, loving the feel of the cool rain. Belle laughs and opens her mouth wide, catching the water on her tongue. I follow her lead and open my mouth up, droplets of water falling on my tongue. It's so refreshing and hopeful.

Rick and the others begin to put the water bottles out to fill up when suddenly the thunder becomes louder and angrier. We all look up at the black storm clouds and realise that this isn't a peaceful shower. I grip Belle tightly and wonder where the hell we are going to escape this onslaught. Judith begins to cry, her screams barely heard over the pouring rain.

"Let's keep moving." Rick yells over the rain.

"There's a barn!" Daryl shouts.

"Where?" Rick asks.

"This way!" Daryl says, pointing into the woods.

We all quickly grab the bottles and make our way through the woods after Daryl. I hold Belle's hand tightly and I hear her whimpers at the pain of the rain. As we walk through the woods the rain gets stronger, the thunder louder. The water stings as it hits my skin and I bite my bottom lip. We eventually make it to a small barn in the middle of the woods. We all rush to it and wait outside as Rick, Daryl, Maggie, Carol and Glenn go inside to inspect it. They seem to be in there a long time before Glenn comes out and tells us to come in.

We all rush inside and shut the door behind us, grateful to be out of the storm. I shiver as I look around the barn. It's quite small, with only a few stables and an open area. Off to the side must be the storage room. I lead Belle further into the barn, taking her over to one of the stables.

"You need to get that flannel off Belle, hang it over the stable." I say and I take off my own flannel from around my waist.

I hang it over the stable wall and she does the same. I take my gun off and lean it against the wall as I look into the stable and see an old blanket. I flick the water off of my skin and Belle does the same. I walk into the stable and grab the blanket before making my way back out. I hold it out to her and she takes it, wrapping it around her shoulders. I rub my hands up and down her arms, hoping to warm her up. I look around the barn again and see everyone doing different things in preparation to wait out the storm. I asked for shelter and we got it, I just hope that this is the beginning of something good.