Chapter 29

Eleven Months Later
I feel myself being shaken awake and I open my eyes, taking in a sharp intake of breath, "What is it? Is something wrong?" I ask, leaning up on my elbows.

"Mommy, you told me to tell you when Daddy was leaving." The six year old states.

"Okay, thanks Baby." I say, sitting up.

I wipe the sleep out of my eyes and let out a yawn, stretching my arms up in the air. I reach down and put my boots on, lifting myself up from the bed.

"Come on, let's go say goodbye to your Daddy." I say, walking out of our room.

I walk down the hall and Carol walks out of her cell, "Afternoon sleeping beauty, how're you feeling?"

"Much better thanks." I smile.

"Yeah, well enjoy it while you can." She says.

I nod my head, "I will. I better get going, this one wants to say goodbye to her Daddy."

"Mom." Belle whines embarrassed.

"She's only six and a half and she's got an attitude already." I mutter.

"Just wait till she's a teenager." Carol chuckles.

"Oh I can't wait. Alright Belle, let's get going. I'll see you later Carol." I call over my shoulder as I walk down the stairs.

We walk through the full cell block and out into the bright sunshine. I look out over the fields and can't help but smile at how far we've come. Thanks to Hershel, Rick and Carl we now have plush fields of vegetables and fruit as well as horses and hogs. The place is beautiful, with chalk drawings on the concrete from the children. Flowers bloom around as well, bringing colour and life to the place. I walk through the outdoor eating area and take a deep whiff.

"Smells good Patrick, make sure to save some for me." I say to the young boy.

"Yes Mrs Dixon."

I roll my eyes, "You can call me Hayley, Patrick."

"Yes of course, sorry Hayley."

I chuckle as we make our way towards the cars that they're taking on the run. Sasha, Tyreese, Glenn, Zach and Daryl are busy packing the cars when we walk in.

"Well, well, well. If it isn't my two favourite girls." Tyreese says as we walk through, causing Belle to giggle.

"Tyreese, we wouldn't want Karen to catch you saying that. Besides, I thought we were keeping what we had a secret?" I ask with mock outrage.

"Good luck with her." Daryl jokes, walking behind me.

"Well, I guess I know who'll be sleeping in a different cell tonight." I say, crossing my arms over my chest.

Daryl wraps his arm around my waist and spins me to face him, placing a kiss on my lips. He pulls back and smiles at me, "You know I'm only kidding, you're mine and no one else's."

I chuckle and kiss him again, "Eww!" Belle cries from beneath us.

I pull back and laugh at her, "Go ahead and say goodbye to your Daddy and then you can go find Lizzie, Mika and the other kids."

She turns to Daryl and he kneels down, "Bye Belle."

"Bye Dad." She says, giving him a kiss and cuddle.

He stands back up and she turns to me, "Can I go play?"

I nod my head, "Go on."

She runs off towards the others and I shake my head at her. Zach comes over and places something in the back of the pickup truck, his eyes off in the distance. I turn and see Beth walking towards us and I roll my eyes.