Chapter 40

We are deep inside the city now, following the car as quietly as possible. I look around and vaguely recognise the area from long ago. The car ahead of us reaches a rubbish cluttered intersection and we pull up in the shadow of a large building. The car ahead is parked and I wonder what he is doing.

"What the hell is he waiting for?" Daryl asks, voicing my question.

The tail lights of the car turn off and Daryl turns off the car, making sure we aren't heard. We wait silently until the passenger side door opens, a man stepping out.

"There's two of them." Daryl states and I nod my head, biting my lip nervously.

"Is that a cop?" He asks and I lean closer for a better a look.

The man that has exited the car is wearing a black uniform that I recognise as a cop's uniform. The man walks around the corner out if our sight and we wait anxiously for him to return. My heart pounds in my chest as I look at the corner when all of a sudden there is a bang on the window. I stifle my scream and turn to see a walker banging on the side of the car, growling and trying to get at me. I let out a sigh and roll my eyes, facing the front again.

The cops comes back into view carrying a couple of bicycles, obviously removing them from the road up ahead. He walks across the road and moves some more debris, making their path clear. The man dusts his hands as he walks back to the car and the walker continues to growl and bang on the car's window. The cop slows down as he looks in our direction, probably wondering what the walker is trying to get at.

I reach down to my boot and pull a knife out, just in case. The man looks for a moment longer before getting back into the car and they drive away through the now clear street. Daryl goes to start the car, but it doesn't start. I look over at him as he tries again, "Ah shit! The tanks tapped." He grunts.

I sigh and run my fingers through my hair as he turns me to me, "If they didn't take the bypass when we did, they must be held up in the city somewhere."

I look ahead and hear the faint groaning of more walkers and I shake my head in frustration, "We gotta move. Find some place to hold up till sunrise." He says.

I sit and look around, this place more familiar now that I've looked around. I shake my head as the memories come back, "Come on, I know a place." I say, grabbing Carol's gun from the back seat.

I roll down the window just enough before I push my knife into the walker's head, it falling to a lump on the ground. I open the door and climb over the top of it and Daryl meets me at my side.

"This way." I nod my head in the direction of the corner where the car went.

We run quickly through the streets, it all coming back to me though I've tried to repress it over the years. Along the way, we each take down walkers and soon we reach a back entry way.

"You try to open it, I'll keep them away." I say, taking down a walker.

He looks at me hesitantly, "I got it, go!" I say.

He goes to the door as another one comes for me. I kick it back and stick my knife into its head, it falling to the ground. I look ahead and see more coming and I turn and make my way back to him, "There's two more." I say breathless.

"Almost got it." He grunts.

Their growls get louder and I turn to make my way to get them when the door opens and he calls to me, "Let's go."

I look around and the growls are louder and I turn and make my way into the building, "Let's move."

Daryl pulls out a torch, "May I have that?" I ask.