Chapter 2

The sky is dark outside, night time well and truly set in. Otis and Shane have been gone for hours and Maggie went and found Lori, bringing her back to the farm. Seeing her in this state breaks my heart because I can't imagine what it would be like to be her. I made Belle sit down and eat her dinner, making sure I ate mine too. I also made sure Hershel and Patricia ate theirs to keep up their strength for the upcoming surgery.

A few hours ago, two friends of the the Grimes', T-Dog and Glenn turned up. T-Dog was injured and had to be stitched up. I stand at the kitchen and make them a couple of sandwiches, peanut butter and jelly. I place them on the plates and walk out to the dining room, placing the food in front of them.

"Thank you so much." Glenn says.

"It's nothing."

"Really, thank you." T-Dog says.

I give them both a smile and go to search for Belle, "Belle, honey?!" I call out.

I hear some talking from the front porch and I walk forward and peer out the window. I see Belle standing by Lori and Rick, her back to me.

"I brought you these." She says.

"Thank you sweetheart." Lori smiles through the tears, taking the box off of her.

On closer examination I see that it's a tissue box and I smile at my little girl's kindness.

"I'm sorry that you're sad." She says to them both.

Rick nods, "Me too."

"Grandpa is a very good vet. He helped saved my horsey and she's all better now. Grandpa will do that for Carl too." She says very confidently.

Rick let's out a weak chuckle and Lori smiles at her, "We hope so."

Belle looks down at her feet before looking up at them, "When I'm sad, my mommy gives me cuddles. Do you think that will help?"

Lori and Rick exchange a glance before he nods, "I think it might."

Belle walks over slowly and wraps her little arms around Lori's neck and the woman hugs her back gently, tears streaming down her face. Belle let's go and steps to Rick, who hugs her for a moment. A tear slides down my cheek at the compassion of my baby and I wipe my eyes.

Belle steps back, "Did that help?"

Rick nods, "Yes it did. Thank you...?"

"My names Belle." She says proudly.

"Thank you Belle." Rick nods.

I open the door and Belle turns around, "Mommy, I helped."

"You did a good job baby. But I think it's bed time." I say.

"Do I have too?" She asks.

I nod my head, "Yes sweetie. Go say goodnight to everyone." I say, holding open the door.

She turns to Rick and Lori, "My mommy says I have to go to bed now. Goodnight."

"Goodnight Belle." They say.

Belle turns and walks into the house, walking into where Hershel is. I turn to Rick and Lori, "I'm sorry."

"It's fine, she is so kind. You and your husband did a good job raising her." Lori says.

I look down at my shoes, "She doesn't have Dad."

"I'm so sorry." Lori begins.

I shrug, "It's fine. She didn't have one when she was born, but that's okay."

Lori gives me an apologetic smile and I look at them, "I am deeply sorry about your boy."

"Thank you." Rick says.

I nod and them and step back inside and head back into the house. Annabelle walks out of the back room and down the hall, "I said goodnight to everyone mommy."

I hold my hand out, "Okay, let's get you to bed huh?"

She takes my hand and we walk up the stairs to my old bedroom, my current bedroom I suppose. I help get her out of her dirty clothes and put them in the washing basket, putting on her pajamas. She climbs into the big bed and I tuck her in, she lets out a yawn. I run my fingers over her head and lean down to kiss her forehead.

"Good night baby." I whisper.

"You forgot the song mommy." She says.

I let out a small smile, "Okay baby."

I lay down beside her and she snuggles into my side. I lay back and look at the ceiling and begin to sing,

Close your eyes and I'll kiss you,

Tomorrow I'll miss you.

Remember I'll always be true.

And if while I'm away,

I'll write home everyday.

And I'll send all my loving to you.

I hear her soft snores and I smile, knowing it works like a treat every time. I gently get out of bed and walk to the door. I look back and see her snuggled into the bed with the covers to her chin, her face peaceful during this terrible time. I turn the light off and close the door.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mommy, where's Uncle Otis?" Annabelle asks.

I freeze in my movements, dropping the soap into the water. Shane came back last night without Otis, telling us that he sacrificed himself for Carl. I was up most of the night with Patricia, until I went to bed and slept holding Belle to my chest. It's been a somber morning for all of us, with very little speaking. Carl seems to be doing better thanks to Shane, he is on the mend. Lori and Rick slept somewhat last night. But today was Otis's funeral, something no one was looking forward too.

I feel the tears in my eyes as I pick the soap back up and finish washing her, "Uncle Otis went to heaven to be with Uncle Shawn and Grandma."

"Oh." She says, looking forward.

I clean her off and pull the plug in the bath, grabbing her towel. I help her out of the bath and wrap the towel around her. I hear the sound of a loud motorcycle and I realise it must be Rick's group. When they arrived, Glenn and T-Dog informed us that their group would be coming tomorrow. One of their women's daughter went missing and they spent the day trying to find her. That's how Carl was shot.

I walk Belle into our bedroom and went to the drawers and grabbed out some tights and a nice dress for the funeral. I quickly dried her off and dressed her, drying and brushing her hair. The motorcycle was louder as it pulled in and it painfully reminded me of my past and my hunter's brother. I shake off the memory, not wanting to be reminded of the past.

When the apocalypse started, I did wonder what happened to the Dixon brothers. Then again I had been wondering that since the day they left me. I knew that their Dad had taught them how to survive, Daryl would sometimes takes me out on one their trips much to Merle's dismay. As much as he tried to deny it, Merle had a soft spot for me. He only ever admitted to it once and that was when he was drunk on his Dad's moonshine.

"Mommy?"

I shake my head and look down at Belle, "Yes baby?"

"Are we going down?"

I nod, "Let's go."

As we walk down the stairs I hear the sound of people talking, the new arrivals. Belle rushes ahead of me out the door and I chase after her, "Belle, slow down." I chastise her.

She bounds through the door and runs to Beth, who picks her up with ease. I shake my head and look around to the new arrivals. I take them in one by one until I freeze on the spot, my eyes locked with the Georgian blues. The Georgian blues that haunted my dreams, the Georgian blues I still loved. The Georgia blues that belonged to my hunter.