Chapter 8

I sit on the railing of the front porch and watch as Belle shows Daryl a picture book. She goes through and shows him all her favourite animals, telling him their names. He sits there and watches her, his eyes shining as he looks at her.

"Hales?"

I look over at the door and see Maggie standing there. I quickly look over and see Daryl and Belle, seeing that they are okay. I get up off the railing and walk inside, the door swinging shut behind me.

"What's up?" I ask.

She turns and faces me, her arms crossed over her chest, "Daddy's going to kick them out."

"What?"

She nods, "He says Carl is better and he's done everything he can do and that they can make it on their own."

"But they can't leave!" I say, thinking about Daryl and Belle.

"I tried telling him that but he wouldn't listen." She says.

I shake my head, trying to gather my thoughts, "I can't believe this. He can't do this, okay, he just can't. Belle only just got her Dad back, I'm not going to let her lose him again. I have to talk to Hershel." I say, turning to leave.

"He left with Jimmy, more walkers caught in the creek." She explains.

I sigh and run my fingers through my hair. I turn and kick the table in frustration, leaning against the wooden table top. I sigh and place my head in my hands, trying to calm my self down.

"I'm sorry." I mumble, shaking my head.

She puts her hand on my shoulder, "I know you want what's best for Belle, I do too. We just gotta convince Daddy to change his mind."

I scoff, "Yeah, cause that's worked in the past."

The door opens and I turn to see Belle and Daryl walk in through the door. I see Daryl's eyes lock on me and my position when Belle walks up to me, "Are you okay Mommy?"

I nod my head, "I'm fine baby. Did you have fun with Daryl?"

She nods her head, "He's funny."

I smile and look at him, "Yeah, he is."

The side of his mouth turns up in a small smile as he looks at me. He straightens up his back, "I gotta go do something, but uh, thanks for letting me stay with her."

I nod my head, "Anytime."

He nods and turns to Belle, "Bye Belle."

"Bye Daryl." She says, waving goodbye.

He smiles and exits the building. Belle turns and looks up at me expectantly, "Mommy, may I have some lunch?"

"Sure baby." I say, turning towards the kitchen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Belle sits on my lap as we play a game of checkers with Carl, Beth and Patricia. Maggie and Glenn sit on the porch steps and talk quietly amongst themselves, back to normal. I smile at them and turn to see Carl make a move that is against me.

"How'd you get so good at this?" I sigh and he laughs.

"Do you know what's going on?" I hear T-Dog ask from behind me.

Andrea walks beside him, "Where is everyone?" She asks.

"You haven't seen Rick?" Glenn asks, stopping in front of them.

They stop in front of him, "He went off with Hershel. We were supposed to leave a couple of hours ago."

"Yeah you were, what the hell?" I hear the southern drawl say and my heartbeat increases immediately.