Chapter 5

I bend over and pick up the laundry basket, walking out to the clothesline. I put the basket down on the floor and begin to put the washing on the line. I hear the back door open and look over my shoulder to see Maggie walking down the back steps towards me.

"Hey Maggs." I say, turning back to the clothesline.

"Hey Hales." She says, bending down and grabbing some washing.

We begin to put the washing on the line, doing it in a comfortable silence. I'm lost in my own thoughts, wondering if I should talk to Daryl. I know that he needs to know but I'm not sure if I'm ready to tell him. I'm interrupted in my thinking when Maggie speaks.

"I slept with Glenn."

"What?" I ask, turning to face her.

She laughs and picks up some more washing, "You heard me."

"When?" I ask, hanging up some jeans.

"When we went on the run yesterday." She says simply.

"Why?" I ask.

She shrugs her shoulders, "I don't know. He's cute..."

"Since when do you ever just sleep with a guy cause he's cute?" I ask, grabbing some more washing.

She remains quiet and I look at her sensing something's wrong, "What is it?"

She shrugs her shoulders, "I don't know. I guess I'm kinda lonely."

I stop and look at her, "Oh Maggs..."

She shakes her head, "I'm fine."

"It's me Maggs, you don't have to be. God knows you have been there for me through some rough shit. Let me be here for you." I say, placing my hand on her shoulder.

She looks at me and nods her head and I wrap my arms around her, giving her a long hug.

"Mommy!"

I turn and see Belle run out of the house, tears streaming down her face, "What is it?" I asked worried.

"I hurt my finger!" She cries, holding her finger up for me to see.

I kneel down and inspect it, "Do you want me to kiss it better?" I ask, looking into her Georgian blues.

She nods her head and I lightly press my lips to her finger, "All better?" I ask.

"Yes." She says, her bottom lip jutting out.

"Why don't you go inside and find Grandpa, huh?" I suggest.

"Okay." She says, turning and running inside.

I turn and look at Maggie, "Sorry about that."

She smiles, "It's fine. You thought anymore about it?" She asks and I know what she's referring to.

I sigh and grab some more washing, "It's all I can think about."

"Made any decisions?" She asks.

"No and that's the thing, I don't want to have to. I just wish that he never showed up and I could just keep living as if he never existed!" I say.

She gives me a look, "We both know that you never did that."

I run my fingers through my hair, "Can you blame me? He was my first love and he left me, without warning. How am I supposed to get over that?"

She shakes her head and smiles, "Hales, you never even tried. You still have that shirt." She says, nodding towards the shirt in my hands. I look down see that it is in fact his shirt, the shirt I had on the day he left.