Chapter 30

I open my eyes slowly, my eyes adjusting to the soft morning light. I turn my head to the side and am met with Daryl's face. His perfect, peaceful, sleeping face. I feel the baby kick and I groan, realising it was on my bladder. I roll over and slowly lift myself off of the bed. I grab some fresh clothes and pull them on as well as my boots and knife. I leave Daryl sleeping as I make my way towards the bathroom.

I wipe my eyes, not looking where I'm going. All of a sudden I slip and I fall forward, catching myself on the wall behind the sinks. I take a deep breath and look down to see what I slipped on. On the ground is blood, a trail of it to be exact. I grow anxious and pull out my knife as I follow the trail. It leads me out of the bathroom towards Cell block D. I walk through the door and see the blood lead into one of the cells. I slowly walk over to the cupboard where we keep the guns for emergency and grab one.

As I turn around I see a walker make it's way towards me and I scream out as it pushes me against the wall. I struggle with it and soon I hear others begin to panic once they realise what's going on. The walker continues to lunge for me and I manoeuvre the gun up till it pointing at its head. I pull the trigger and the walker falls to the ground, covering me in guts.

I look around wildly through the hysteric people, "Belle!" I scream.

I rush through and begin shooting at the walker's while looking for Belle, my heart pounding in my chest. Gunshots sound as other people get ahold of the guns and try to take them down. As I look through some of the cells, I see people being eaten with their guts strewn everywhere.

"Belle!" I scream again.

Someone runs into me and knocks me to the ground, knocking the wind out of me. A walker stumbles towards me and falls to its knees, snapping its jaw at me. I lift my gun up and go to shoot when I realise there's no bullets left. I lift the gun up and hit it over the head until it caves in.

"Hayley!"

The walker is pushed off of me and Daryl pulls me to my feet, "Are you alright?"

"I can't find Belle!" I cry, tears blurring my vision.

"Mommy!"

I look upstairs and see Belle backing towards the wall, two walkers coming her way.

"Belle!" I scream as Daryl and I rush up the stairs.

A couple of walkers stand in our way and I stab my knife through one's head, Daryl pushing the other off the stairs. I run up the last of the steps towards my daughter. Just as one is about to grab onto to her, an arrow pierces through its head. I rush forward and grab the other one, sticking the knife right up to the base. I pull my knife out and push the walker away, it falling over the edge over the railing.

I rush forward and grab Belle who cries into my shoulder, "Are you alright?"

She just cries and Daryl turns to me, "Both of you get out of here!"

I pick Belle up in my arms and we rush back down the stairs and out the cell block door, people rushing past us. I hold onto her for dear life until we reach the outside. She continues to cry and I hold onto her, "It's okay Baby, Mommy's here. Mommy's got you."

I look back towards cell block D, it more silent then it was a minute ago. The adrenaline begins to wear off and I walk us over the outdoor eating area where everyone is gathered, to a table and take a seat. I sit Belle on my lap and let her hold onto me. I look around at the faces of the people in cell block D, seeing their faces covered in shock, despair and grief. I bury my face in my daughter's hair and wonder what the hell happened on there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sit outside on one of the benches, my arms around Lizzie and Mika. They just lost their Dad and I was helping anyway I could. Belle sits in my lap and holds each of their hands in hers. Throughout the morning, different people have been carrying out the bodies of our friends. I can't bear to look at their faces as they walk past us to go bury their dead.