Chapter 54

"So where do you want to eat?" I asked Hayes as he climbed into the passenger seat.

"I was kind of thinking about the Chinese place in the mall " Hayes suggested and I smiled as I pulled out into the road.

"I love that place" I told him and he smiled back.

I turned the volume up on the radio to see what was playing and heard the chorus to "Like I'm Gonna Lose You" playing. I heard Hayes singing quietly to himself and I turned to look at him.

"Sing a little louder" I told him and he snapped his head towards me quickly and blushed. "No it doesn't sound bad, I like your voice" I told him honesty, I had never heard him sing before.

"So I'm gonna love you like I'm gonna lose you. I'm gonna hold you like I'm saying goodbye. Wherever we're standing, I won't take you for granted 'cause we'll never know when, when we'll run out of time. So I'm gonna love you like I'm gonna lose you. I'm gonna love you like I'm gonna lose you" he belted out the lyrics while looking at me and it got really tense but then I smiled. He was so close that I was able to kiss his cheek, so I did. Hayes blushed as we pulled into the parking lot.

"Table for two" I told the waitress as we walked inside. We were seated at a booth when I got a phone call.

I stopped Hayes from talking when I saw that Shawn was calling.

"Hey, what's up?" I asked Shawn and he seemed worried.

"Grace's legs" Shawn said and I gasped. "I'm joking, but seriously I think you should come home."

"What the hell Shawn? Is this Shawn Mendes?" I questioned and he sighed as Hayes gave a questioning look.

"Yes Kayla, it's Taylor. I think something is seriously wrong with him. He's been in and out of doctors offices" Shawn told me and I was shocked.

"It's good to see he's finally get help" I laughed a little to myself but Shawn sighed.

"Kayla, I'm serious. He won't talk to us much" I became a little worried but I didn't want to show it because I was finally moving on from that part in my life.

"What do you want me to do about it?" I asked him, almost frustrated that I couldn't just eat my meal with Hayes.

"I want you to come to Miami. I know it's a lot to ask, but I found the tickets to the Indiana football game you gave him for Christmas. He's been looking at them and I think you should go" Shawn was asking a lot and I almost gasped as I excused myself from the table to walk outside.

"How do I just come back after everything? I mean it's not that I don't care anymore, I will always care. I'll consider it Shawn but he hasn't even asked about the kids and I-I don't know what to do" I took in a deep breath.

"I think you should go" Hayes' voice caught me off guard from behind and I jumped two feet in the air.

"Hayes" I trailed off. "Shawn, I'll call you back later."

"I'm serious" he forced a smile.

"I won't go Hayes, I can't do that to you" I told him and he pulled me in for a hug.

"Babe, I know something's wrong. I know you loved him. And if this will help then you should go. I'll be here when you get back" I hugged him tighter as tears ran down my face.

"Hayes, what if he does the shit he always does?" I asked and he rubbed my back.

"Just call me. I'll be there as soon as I can and you know it. You'll be fine. Shawn and Grace will be there" he tried to encourage me but I couldn't keep myself together.