Chapter 51

The phone rang a few times and I crossed my fingers hoping that he would answer. We were about an hour from the apartment and I didn't know if they were home yet.

"Hello?"

"Hayes!" I practically yelled into the phone. I calmed myself and Louis gave me a look that basically said "put it on speaker," so I did.

"Yes?" He sounded almost uninterested and it kind of hurt.

"I got the job" I told him a little less excited.

"Oh that's great" fuck my life.

"Well I'll let you go about your business" and with that I hung up.

Hayes;

"She's completely oblivious" I said while setting my phone down on the coffee table.

"Ha, big word. What's up Hayes?" Calum asked me from the chair across from me.

"Kayla got the job" I told him.

"Oh that's great!"

"Yeah well I made it seem like I was mad and totally uninterested because I have a plan but I need your help" I told him and he raised an eyebrow. "Well Lilli, Teddy, and Cara went to do Teddy's bachelorette stuff so it'll just be us but I want to do something special. Can you text her and ask how much longer she'll be?"

He pulled out his phone and texted her. "She said about an hour."

"You have your license right?" I asked him and he nodded. "Okay we need to run to the mall."

I grabbed Kayla's keys off the table and hoped she wouldn't be too mad. I handed them to Calum. We rode the elevator down and then climbed in Kayla's truck.

"The mall's only about ten minutes away so we have to be quick getting everything or she'll beat us there" I told Calum from the passenger seat and he nodded as he went as fast as he was allowed.

As soon as we got to the mall we jumped out and hurried inside.

"Okay I need you to go down to the cookie place and see if they can put "Congratulations Kayla" on a cookie cake. Here's some cash and I'll take care of the rest" Calum saluted me and then hurried along.

I watched him leave and then turned to go to the place I need to go. I walked until I found a nice jewelry shop. It said Cartier on the door and I had never been in one but I had heard of their bracelets.

"Can I help you with something young man?" A woman behind one of the counters asked me.

"I'm actually looking for a necklace to congratulate my friend on her new job" I told her and she smiled while pushing her glasses up on her nose.

"Is this girl just a friend or" she trailed off.

"Well it's complicated. I really like her so maybe this necklace would help me" I admitted.

"So it's a little more than just congratulatory. Do you have a stone preference?" She asked.

"Diamonds look nice, they would look nice on her" I told them woman, whose name tag said Meredith.