Chapter 57- Part 2

Everyone was now sat down for dinner. Rosamund was discussing the Wedding with Mary, Edith and Rose. Cora on the other hand was deep in thought. She was trying to formulate a plan in her head. Martha was also thinking about Cora's next move. She wanted to do her best to help her daughter in any way possible.

Robert couldn't help but notice Cora's odd behavior. He looked puzzled. Robert turned to face Tom.

"Do you think that Cora's acting rather strangely this evening?" he questioned.

Tom looked in Cora's direction. "Yes, she seems to have a lot on her mind" Tom acknowledged. Robert nodded in agreement. They both looked at Cora.

She was staring down at her plate. Cora had lost her appetite. She was unaware that her Mama was speaking to her. 

"My dear Cora, are you even listening?" 

Cora came out of her thoughts. "I'm sorry, did you say something Mama?" 

Martha tutted. "You weren't even listening to a single word I've said" Martha paused and looked into Cora's eyes. She could tell that her daughter was going through a lot of pain. "You look tired Cora. Don't you think you should retire to bed?" 

"Yes. its probably best Mama" Cora stood and Robert and Tom followed suit.

"Will you please excuse me. I am exhausted and feel its time I call it a night"

Robert looked downcast.He had not yet had the opportunity to speak to Cora. He then remembered that they were still sharing the same room and decided to speak to his Wife then. Cora then left and everyone carried on eating their dinner.

...........15 Minutes Later............

Baxter had finished helping Cora get ready for bed. She had left the room. Cora applied some cream to her face and hands. She then climbed into bed and when the dressing room door opened. Out came Robert.

Cora's body stiffened at the sight of her husband. How could she speak to him knowing the information of Simon coming to seek her?

Cora was never good at lying. She was as transparent as a piece of glass. So she tried ignoring Robert hoping that he would do the same.

Oh how wrong she was. He kept thinking of all the different ways their conversation could go. By the time he plucked up the courage to speak to Cora she had gone to sleep. Robert sighed, frowned and then turned out the light.