Chapter 30-

It was the middle of the night. Baxter had not left Cora's side. Robert was sat on the bed in his changing room. Meanwhile Mary, Edith, Rose, Tom and Martha were downstairs. Martha sneaked away to the telephone. She called Simon. He picked up.

"Hello who is it?".

"It's Martha Levinson. Cora's mother. I rang to make to you aware that Cora will not be going to America. She is ill".

"I hope it's nothing serious?".

"Cora has Spanish flu and is bed stricken".

"How on earth has she caught the flu?".

"That doesn't matter. What matters is that you should cancel your trip to America. Cora and I won't be leaving Downton until she is well to travel".

"I'm catching the next train. I'll be at Downton shortly".  Martha was surprised.

"No you can't come to Downton. Not now. Robert will go ballistic. You can't possibly come".

Martha tried her best to change Simon's mind. It didn't work.

"No I am coming. Cora needs me. Robert will just have to deal with it. I will lodge at the Grantham Arms. Goodnight Mrs Levinson".   

Simon put the phone down. Martha didn't realise that Robert was coming down the stairs.

"Who was that on the telephone at this ghastly hour?". 

Martha was startled by Robert.

"It was Harold. I was just informing him that we won't be coming tomorrow".

Martha made up a quick but a believable excuse.

"Okay. Thank you for caring about Cora".  Martha was taken back.

"Of course I care. She's my daughter and Cora is your Wife. Remember that Robert".

Martha walked upstairs.