"I already have a dress for tonight," I say. "But if this is your way of trying to get back to talking to me-"

"We're going shopping," she says, and if it didn't sound so cold, it would've made me feel relieved.

"Okay," I say.

***

"Something wrong, Allison? You look a little off," Lydia says as we enter the Macy's. I'm guessing we're gonna be in this store for at least a few hours.

"Nothing's wrong," Allison answers. "I just- I have a lot on my mind."

"You could smile, at least. Ever heard of the saying, 'Never frown, someone could be falling in love with your smile'? Smile, Allison. I'm buying you a dress," Lydia says.

"Have to admit as far as apologies go, that's more than I expected," Allison says. A heavy feeling of guilt sets in my stomach, because I haven't even tried to apologise to her yet, and I still don't know if I should.

"Excellent," Lydia smiles.

"But not as much as I'm going to ask," Allison says, her tone mischievous.

"What? What's that supposed to mean?" Lydia sounds kind of surprised, probably because usually, Allison is the kind of person to accept any apology, just to be nice. Not this time.

"It means you're going to cancel on whatever dumb, roided-up jock you said yes to and you're going to go with somebody else," Allison says.

"Who?"

"Him," Allison smirks, pointing at a guy in the distance who I immediately recognise as Stiles, having an altercation with a bottle of perfume. "I mean, if that's okay with you, Grace? What do you think?"

There's something in the way she says it and how she looks at me that lets me know this is her way of punishing me. Because she noticed, apparently, how I feel about Stiles, and I shouldn't be surprised. But it's still a low blow to get him to take his absolute crush to the formal and have me watch the entire thing.

"I think that's a great idea. He'll love it," I say, only half lying.

Allison nods, apparently satisfied with my reaction, and then focuses her attention on Lydia again, who's not looking too happy.

"Don't frown, Lydia. Someone could be falling in love with your smile."

Fuck. For a genuinely sweet girl, Allison can be a real bitch sometimes.

Lydia and Allison both start roaming the shop, tearing apart the clothing racks and leaving me to wander around a bit without a real purpose.

"Hey."

I look up from the pair of pink heart-shaped sunglasses on a shelf to see Stiles, half of his body buried in dresses. Dresses Lydia's picked out, probably. Fuck this.

"Aren't you supposed to be gathering your own mountain of potential dresses right now?" he asks.

"Nah, I've already got one back home," I say. "Are you still breathing underneath all that fancy fabric?"

"Barely," Stiles smiles. "Lydia's handing me about half of the store's dresses to carry. I shouldn't complain, though."

A hum in understanding is all I can muster, but I cut myself off by gasping when I spot Allison in the distance, talking to a very familiar and still very creepy dude.

"Is that- fuck," I say, and then Stiles sees him as well.

"Peter. I'll let Scott know," he says.