Chapter 56

I sit in the infirmary on a chair beside Tara's bed, my feet propped up on the base. The bandages that were on her head have been removed but she hasn't awoken from her coma. Pete has been coming into check on her every day since it happened but after what happened with Rick, there has been no such luck. I overheard that one of the women in the community, Denise, is a psychiatrist and was planning to come and have a look while the decision about what to do  about yesterday is happening.

There is going to be a town meeting held tonight outside of Deanna's house where everything that has happened will be addressed. I haven't heard much but whispers around town have been that most don't agree with what Rick did. However there have also been even more whispers about Pete's actions behind closed doors towards Jessie and the kids. The town is in conflict and the decision of what to do about it will happen tonight.

The door opens and I turn to see a woman walk in, a thick book underneath her arm. She is a larger woman, with long blonde curly hair and glasses. She stops when she sees me, "I'm sorry, I didn't think anyone would be in here."

I lift myself up from my seat, my hand on my back, "I just came in to sit with her. I'm Hayley." I say, holding out my hand for a handshake.

She walks forward and takes it, "I'm Denise. Wow, you look like you're about ready to pop." She says, commenting on my overly large stomach.

I roll my eyes as I place my now un-bandaged hand on my stomach, "You can say that again, I'm pretty certain I'm overdue now." I say, feeling extremely uncomfortable.

She nods, "Well we will definitely keep an eye on things, especially if it's going to come any day now." She says, looking me over with examining eyes.

"Well I'm hoping that it holds off until his Dad comes home. He's already missed one birth, he'll be ropable if he misses this one." I say, looking down at my tummy.

"You already have a child?" She asks and I nod my head, "Yes, her name is Belle and she is around seven." I explain to her.

"Yeah, I think I've met her. And you're Daryl's wife." She says and I nod my head in confirmation.

"I'm sorry, I was meaning to come introduce myself but with everything that's been happening I haven't been able to yet." She says and I wave it off, "That's fine, no hard feelings Doc." I chuckle.

She nods and looks over at Tara's unconscious body, "I guess I better go take a look at her huh?" She says, nodding to Tara.

I step out of the way as she walks over and places her book on the beside table. I take a closer look and notice that it's a medical textbook. She catches me glancing as she begins to examine Tara, "I went to medical school and was planning to become a surgeon. However I began to suffer from anxiety and panic attacks at the thought of operating so I decided to switch to psychotherapy instead." She explains as she works.

"Did you enjoy it?" I ask as she turns to the book and flicks through the pages.

She nods, not looking away from the book, "I did, I found the brain much easier to deal with then the body. No way I could kill anyone." She chuckles and I look at her.

She glances up, "I'm sorry, that mustn't I still confidence when I'm examining your sick friend." She says.

I shake my head, "I'm sure anything you do will help Doc."

She gives me a small smile before looking back down at the book. I glance at the clock on the wall and turn back to her, "I have to go and check on Belle but it was lovely meeting you Denise."

"You too and feel free to come around if anything is happening with the baby." She states and I nod my head, "Will do." I say as I turn and make my way out of the door.