[Carl Grimes] The Rocky Earth Below Us

PROMPT:
You arrive at the prison to meet Carl, who is hesitant to let you in because everyone he loves dies.

It was October and things were getting colder. It was beginning to merge into winter. You remembered liking the winter, before the apocalypse had started and now, it was nothing but an annoyance.
Beside you was Olivia, an older girl you had befriended quite recently. Together, the two of you approached the towering walls of the prison and sighed, sharing eye contact for a lingering second before merging closer. You two had watched the prison for weeks, sussing things out, after all, people were sick these days.

The way you saw it was that some people were deadly and now more than ever the living became more of a threat than the dead.

As you got closer, walkers began to catch the scent of your bodies and turned around. Heaps of them too, shuffling towards you two.

You looked to Olivia, her tired frame straightening. She grabs her crossbow and you grab your gun. You felt like asking her how to do it, you felt like asking her how exactly you were to get in but all you could do was stare at the walkers approaching you at a fast pace.

Olivia shoots at a walker and so do you, the two of you struggling to pass the large mass of dead weight. Rotted arms were reaching for you, trying to clutch at the material sewn to your weak bones.

Together you two defended yourselves, pushing through but as you got deeper into the crowd, things got hard. You look at Olivia, the poor girl struggling to defend herself. Her lips part as she looks directly at you.

"We split up!" She yells.

You nod, shoving through the strong grasps of dead men.

You reach the barb wire, clawing it and shouting. Muffled cries of help leave your lips.

A moment passes before the gates are thrown open and you are yanked inside. The next movements seem like a blur, people shuffling towards you, heavy arms carrying you and swaying you. Your eyes flickering open and closed. I mean, your heart beating so hard you felt as if it might barge out of your chest. Soon, you close your eyes altogether, letting the figure carry you in.

"Stay Back!" you hear the person carrying you growl.
Your eyes open and the dark corridor of the prison comes in view. Before you can do much, you're thrown into a cell. A loud bang rebounds around you as the cell booms closed and all you see is the figure who carried you in, sprinting down the corridor. Silence reanimates in the dark cell as you tightly shut your eyelids, your head spinning.

But you're not left alone for long, soon, a tall man enters the cell, his chin covered in thick hair and his shirt dirty. He walks in, with a strut that could only represent power and authority.

His gun hangs on his waist, clearly in view. To you, that meant a statement.
A statement claiming that if you were to show your ass, he would use it.

"How old are you?" He asks, a thick southern drawl to his voice. Deep and gravelly.
"Fourteen." You reply, making his eyes stare into yours, an eyebrow raised.
"Fourteen? All alone?" He asks. You enlarge your eyes, heartbeat booming once more.
"No. I had a friend. Olivia? Are you sure you didn't-" you stop talking when you see him slowly shake his head.
"She must have fled." He quickly replies. You clench the sheets beneath you, taking in a deep breath. Yet you were able to push back the tears.

"No. No. She wouldn't have." You take your hand and run it through your thick tangled hair, furrowing your brows and taking a deep breath.

"I know you're lieing. Did you see her fall?"
He looks away, unable to answer my question with proper eye contact.

"You're fourteen. I ain't gonna search you and I ain't gonna question you. But everyone has a gun here. They'll shoot you before you can even take yours out of it's holster."
You nod slowly.

"What's your name?" He asks.

Your voice hitches in your throat as hesitate to answer him but decide to.

"It's Y/N."

He nods. "Well Y/N, I'm Rick."
You stand up and so does Rick, you're back slightly aching, head throbbing and skin burning. Shying away, you inspect the walls of the prison, following Rick out of the room and into a different block. Rick walks into a cell, hunching his back slightly.
"Carl? There's someone here for you to show around." Rick says. A tall boy your age walks out of his cell, looking uninterested and tired. His eyes widen as he sees your mess of an appearance. Standing straighter. Rick raises an eyebrow at him.

"She's new, and armed, so be careful okay?" he says. Carl nods, mumbling 'okay'. Carl walks to you, holding out his hand for you to shake.

"I'm Carl. You are?" he asks. You shake his hand, smiling slightly.

"I'm Y/N." you reply.
He nods, shying away. "Nice name." You bite your lip, following him down the corridor. He looks back to you every so often.

"Where did you come from?" He asks. You blink, head hurting and mind buzzing.
"All around. We just wandered."
He nods, understanding. "We?"
"Olivia. She's not here anymore. I guess."
Carl smiles. "Well I am. I guess we can be friends. Until you screw up." he replies You cut your eyes at him.

"Who says I'll screw up? and screw up what?" you ask.
He shakes his head. "Until you die. The kids around here normally do- before I can even get their names."

You laugh slightly, reprogramming everything the boy says. His long hair and stunning blue eyes.
"I'm not dying anytime soon and you already know my name." you reply. He smiles.

"Fine. Then I guess I don't have anything to worry about do I?"

You smirk.

"Guess not."