TV Series Review: Game of Thrones Season 3 (2013)

Okay, so this time I‘m going to try something different. I’m going to review a season of a TV series that recently ended. So, I’ve decided to start with what is now being called the most popular TV show ever Game of Thrones. Game of Thrones is a TV series I started following just before the beginning of Season 3. From the very first episode, I was hooked. Not only is this a great Fantasy but it is also an excellent Drama, filled with interesting characters and one of the greatest families ever created the Starks. I thought that Season 1 was a great season and didn’t disappoint. Season 2 was even better, raising the stakes with a war between The Starks and The Lannisters and a huge battle at King’s Landing in the penultimate episode between Stannis Baratheon’s forces and Tyrion Lannister’s army. Season 3, I personally feel, was a great season. It had Drama, Action and Adventure and never ceased to surprise me. Let’s take a look.

The Good:

The characters. The characters are still as interesting as ever. Tyrion Lannister’s relationship with his father is being explained in this season, which was great. Jaime is revealed to not be an evil man like many believe as he develops a friendship with Brienne. Daenaerys is conquering everything in her path and freeing slaves as she goes. And as for the Starks, they’re not doing so well. I’ll talk about that later.

The locations. The locations and sets for Westeros are just simply beautiful to look at. The best sets are still at King’s Landing but Pyke boasts some great sets as well. It’s one of the best looking fantasies I’ve ever seen.

The acting. All of the actors in Game of Thrones have always been noted for great acting and it still hasn’t changed, the best of all being Peter Dinklage in the role of Tyrion Lannister. Peter Dinklage is probably one of the most underrated actors in the world today. The way he portrays Tyrion is fantastic and the emotions and complexities of being a “cripple” are really well-adressed when Dinklage acts. Tyrion is my favourite character.

The Red Wedding (SPOILER ALERT!). This is the point in this season where everything changed and not just story-wise. The Red Wedding happens in the penultimate episode of Season 3 called “The Rains of Castamere”. In it, Caitlin Stark’s brother is to marry one of Walder Frey’s daughters. The marriage happens but there is a feeling in the air that something is not right. Frey is being way too hospitable after the loss of possibly having his line in a King’s position. Then the doors close, the music quietens and Frey makes a speech. After the speech is finished, one of Frey’s men stabs Robb’s wife in the stomach several times and kills not only her but the child inside her. Robb and Caitlin are shot by arrows and both are killed, with supposed ally Roose Bolton killing Robb and telling him “The Lannister’s send their regards” before stabbing him in the heart and a massacre of Robb’s army ensues. After this episode, the story has changed dramatically. The War of the Five Kings is practically over, with only the Greyjoys and Stannis Baratheon left fighting and the three eldest Starks are dead. But not only has that changed, but attitudes towards the show have also changed. Die-hard fans like myself will stay on but for some people the Red Wedding was the point where they said, “I’m done.” I personally think that this was a great episode and that the Red Wedding is the catalyst for things to come.

The Bad:

The final episode. The final episode doesn’t end on a cliff hanging note. It shows the different things that are happening but unlike Seasons 1 and 2, there was nothing that got me really excited for Season 4. However, what I can say is that it will be interesting. The remaining Starks are really not doing good at this point. Jon is returned to Castle Black after being shot three times by Ygritte, Sansa is still married to Tyrion and trapped at King’s Landing, Bran has crossed the Wall in pursuit of the three-eyed crow, Arya is still travelling with the Hound and traumatised by the death of her mother and brother and Rickon has disappeared with Osha. Meanwhile, the White Walkers come ever-closer to The Wall, Daenaerys frees more slaves and Joffrey is still king. The future of the characters is bleak.

Overall Rating: 10/10 Legendary Season! This season, like the other two, was a brilliant season. However, I do feel it wasn’t as good as the other two but it was still an A-Grade effort and I will continue watching until the season ends. If what I’ve heard from fans of the book is true, it’s just going to get worse and worse for the Starks. Which is the true essence of Game of Thrones. Nobody is safe in Game of Thrones.