50- scouts

We get onto castle grounds and are walking back into the castle. Mason hasn't spoken and word and has been stiff. Did I do something wrong?

"Annabelle!" Alaric yells. I turn around to see him running at full speed on his horse with a red head behind him.

"Yes?"

"Scouts! Take Helena! Mason, you are with me!"

Helena runs up to me with tears streaming down her face. I look to Mason only to see him gone. I look around and see him running back to the stables.

"Mase!" I call out. He pauses. "Take Star with you!"

"Yes, love!" He calls back before rushing back into the stables.

I grab Helena's and and drag her behind me as I lead her to the hidden tunnels.

"I'm sorry but your dress might be ruined." I say softly. She giggles before shaking her head.

I push on a stone and quickly jump into the opening with Helena behind me. I close the door and the tunnel encases in darkness.

"H-how come you are n-not scared?" She asks.

"I'm used to these things."

"W-what are s-scouts?" Helena asks, clinging to my arm.

"Previous knights and guards who went rogue. They know how to fight well and they know tricks to the kingdom. I'm just learning how to battle them."

Helena sides beside me and ducks when I tell her. I open the door into the sade room and fall. Warm arms catch me and I look up to see Alexon. I smile at him.

He looks behind me to see Helena. He releases me and immediately moves over to her. I roll my eyes and close the tunnel door, making sure it clicks shut.

I walk over to my father and he gives me a hug. Guards line the door and a few wave to me. I smile and wave back.

"Scouts have been raiding much more frequently. I really want to capture one and ask him questions." I tell my father, looking around the room.

Willaim and Margaret are sitting in the corner and Margaret is crying.

"Scouts have been attacking more frequently. You noticed."

"Does this shock you?"

"No, I am happy about it."

"I have a feeling they are after one of my books."

"The one flaw in that idea, princess, is that we all know where your library is." One of the guards speak up.

"Exactly! Have you ever found any scouts in my library?" They shake their heads and I smile. "Exactly! Do they think I am stupid enough to hide a useful book in my library?"

The guards smile and shake their heads. "You are a clever one, princess."

"Helena, dear! You are safe!" Margaret exclaims.

I see her stand and work her way toward Alexon and Helena. I step forward and block her path.

"Go back to your husband. I need no drama. My husband is fighting and keeping you safe and I am helping keep guard here. Go sit back down." I order, my hands gripping my bow tightly.

She sneers in my face. "Oh? What are you going to do?"

I hear the guards draw their swords. "Oh, I don't think you want to find out. I survived my half brother trying to kill me. I control both rhe elves and the fae. Don't mess with me, woman."