chapter 10- first move

"You are going to wear a simple dress, princess. King's orders." My maid says.

"Why? Does he have a note for me?" I ask.

After a while of being alone and thinking about everything, I left my garden and went to the library. I drew pictures of my flowers in my book.

"No, princess. Do you want me to go and see if he has one?" She asks.

"Yes, and tell him I say for him to write why I have to dress up." I inform her.

She nods and runs off. I walk over to my bed and sit. I have a bad feeling about today. I don't know why but I do.

I hear a few knocks on the door. "Come in."

Alexon walks in wearing his suit and fixing his sleeve. "Sorry to bother you-" he looks up from fixing his sleeve, "you are not dressed yet. Why?"

"Why do I have to get dressed?" I ask.

At that moment the maid runs in with a letter. She runs to my closet and begins to look through all my gowns. I open the letter and Alexon sits next to me.

Dear Baby girl,

We are having a ball tonight. This ball is because the Northern Kingdom is coming over. The queen and king feel our grief about our queen being dead and Tristan plans on proposing to you. The trick I planned is that I am announcing Mason as your betrothed. He talked to me and I bring him back to duke status. I hope you like him back, Annabelle, because I would hate to see him crushed. Just be careful. And I would love to talk to you privately about Peter.

Your father

I sigh and look to the maid. She runs off to my closet and grabs my turquoise dress. In the middle it is black and has lace connecting from the two sides. There is also golden stitching along the middle and across the sleeve.

"It is time to play the game. And the most vital piece is you."

"I know that. Now shoo. I need to get dressed." I tell him, making a shooing motion.

Alexon frowns but leaves. The maid helps me change into the dress and does my hair up into an elegant bun.

"You look gorgeous, miss." She says then runs off. I slip on a pair of black flats and open the door to see Alexon and Mason talking.

"Are you done talking?" I ask while walking up to them.

Their heads turn to me and their eyes widen. Mason's mouth opens in a gasp.

"You look absolutely beautiful." Mason comments me. I blush and look towards my feet. A hand grabs my chin gently and lifts my face up. I meet Mason's blue eyes and see sincerity. "I'm not lying. You look beautiful."

"Why yes I am but I don't think they will accept you as our queen." Alexons says then walks off.

Mason and I gap at him. "Did he just say what I thought he said?"

"I think so. I heard the same thing you did."
"Princess Annabelle! Please hurry. You need to be by your father's side now. Your mother isn't here to be the sweet figure for the royals." My fathers assistant rushes out when Mason amd I get to the bottom of the stairs.

I give him a smile and nod. Mason leads me to the ballroom, where everything is set up and guards are standing along the wall.

I walk up to my father and Mason releases me. I stand beside my father with Mason slightly behind me, the symbol that he is my suitor. Alexon rushes in and stands on my father's left. He fixes his suit amd his hair.