Forty-five

EDITED.

"This is it, a whole new life. Away from my friends and family. And Tyler."

I looked up to see a big banner that says "Welcome to Yale". I'm officially a college student. It was pretty exciting when I think about all the new friends I am going to make or about living the college life and trying out new things.

However, I can't seem to leave my family, my friends or Tyler behind. It was just like as if there was this large piece of the puzzle missing. I felt so incomplete without them in my life and I guess I just had to get used to it.

I was spiralling in my own thoughts when the shrill bell rang, reverberating throughout the entire campus and I was jolted wide awake. I was startled but I quickly regained my composure as I glanced down to look at my timetable. "Ahh... English Literature," I mumbled to myself and quickly made my way to the lecture theatre. 

I was prancing through the hallways, my eyes darting around nervously as I wandered around aimlessly, looking for my class. But I always seemed to be walking in circles, frustration evident on my face. 

"Looking lost?" Someone's voice reached me, making me whipped my head around.

"Tyler?" I asked in disbelief as I stared at the boy in front of me with my mouth wide open, my heart skipping a beat.

"Tyler? Who's Tyler?" The boy asked as I watched he looked around the hallway.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I must be seeing things..." I mumbled as I looked at the ground, a small awkward laugh escaped my lips.

The boy in front of me was more than a head taller than me standing tall as he looked down at me. His bright blue eyes had caught my attention, along with his bright ginger red hair which stood out among the crowds of browns and blonds. He was clad in a simple graphic tee and some ripped jeans. "It's fine. I'm Calum, nice to meet you."

"I'm Alexandra," I responded as I gave him a small smile.

"Huh, you are new here I assume?" He asked me as he ran his hand through his ginger red hair.

"Yeah. Actually, could you help me get to this class? I am pretty damn lost." I admitted with a soft chuckle as I pointed to the time table I was holding in my hand.

"Oh wow, we are actually in the same class!" He exclaimed with a bright smile plastered across his face."We are going to be late if we don't leave now. Come on!" Without another word, he grabbed onto my wrist and pulled me through the hallways, making me widen my eyes in shock as I tried to register what was happening.

"Calum, what are you doing?"  I asked as I jerked an eyebrow at him.

"Bringing you to class?" He replied innocently, his own light brows knitted together in slight confusion. 

"Thanks but you don't have to hold onto my wrist," I said politely, a small smile graced my lips. I watched as Calum looked down at my wrist to see that he was holding onto it. A look of realisation was plastered across his face before his eyes met mine again before he quickly let go.

"I'm sorry, I'm just scared that we would be late," he responded with a sheepish grin.

"It's fine Calum. We are here now. Thanks a lot for the help. I wouldn't want to be late on my first day huh?" I joked as I gave him a sincere smile. As I stepped into the lecture room, I was greeted by a cool breeze, making me pull my jacket closer to me. My eyes landed on the teacher which seemed to be in his fifties. 

He looked over at the both of us entering the lecture hall, sending a small glare but no words were exchanged. He quickly went back to lecturing, pushing the glasses that were sitting at the bridge of his nose up ever so slightly as we hurriedly scurried to our seats and settled down.