Thirty-two.

EDITED.

"Mum!" I screamed. Suddenly, everything around me faded away and all the noises went silent for once. My heart was pounding against my chest, a million thoughts racing through my mind as I rushed to her side. I did not think this was reality, I did not want to accept it but laying right in front of me on the grass was my mother. Her eyes were closed shut and she was not moving, not even an inch.

I kneeled down next to her and shook her shoulders violently in the hope of waking her up even though I knew that deep down, it does not work. Tears formed at the brim of my eyes, threatening to escape any moment. I held onto her cold bare hands as a tear rolled down my cheek.

"Somebody help! Please call the ambulance!" I yelled desperately to the small crowd formed around us. "Somebody do something for god's sake!"

Soon, the wailing sound of the sirens reached my ears, signalling that the ambulance was arriving. I watched as the paramedics rushed to my mum and put her on a stretcher before they carried her seemingly lifeless body into the ambulance.

"Are you her daughter?" One of the paramedics asked.

"Yes," I replied softly, my voice wavering.

"Come with us."

Together, we board the ambulance as they raced down the roads and reached the hospital as soon as possible. The whole way there, I was praying and I was going crazy. My mind was a blank as I kept repeating to myself that she is going to be okay. 

The second we arrived, they quickly carried mum down and placed her on another bed before pushing her off into the emergency room.

"Mum!" I cried out as the door closed before me, running after her.

"Sorry, you can't go in there right now miss," the nurse informed as she held me back. I watched as she disappeared behind the doors, and I quickly broke down. I was sitting of one of those plastic chairs as I buried my face in my hands, sobbing silently but I was hysterical.

They can't take mum away from me right now. Not now, not then. I can't imagine my life without her. I would miss her kind green eyes. I would miss her soft, gentle voice. I would miss her cooking. I would miss her hug. I would miss everything about her. Without her, I would just feel like an incomplete puzzle. Nothing else can replace my beloved mum. And I do mean nothing. Not even Tyler. There will bound to be this empty space in my heart that I can never fill. My world would collapse without mum by my side. In fact, it's shattering bit by bit. It was like as if drops of black ink were seeping into my life, breaking down everything I had, shattering my world.

"Alex!" I heard a familiar voice called out to me. I looked up with my teary eyes to see Nathan standing in front of me.

I ran towards him as he pulled me into a hug that I really needed to hold myself together. I would have collapsed at any time.

"What happened?" He asked as he looked at me intently.

"Mum... mum.. she suddenly fainted in the park when she was with me. I don't know what happened. It's gotta be my fault. If I hadn't brought her to the park, this would not have happened," I stammered as I buried my face in Nathan's chest while he rubbed my back soothingly.

"Hey, it's not your fault Alex. Mum will be alright," he reassured as I tightened my arms around him.

"But I'm afraid Nate. I'm afraid they would take her away from us. I cannot lose someone else so important to me, I don't want to lose her," I mumbled softly.

"Trust me, she will be fine Alex. The mum I know is strong," he said with a reassuring smile as he pulled away from me, wiping away the tears on my face as I gave him a small smile that didn't quite reach my eyes.

We sat on the cold, hard plastic chairs as we waited for hours outside the emergency room. Nathan was rather patient as he waited though I could tell he was scared and worried. I, on the other hand, was furiously pacing up and down every 5 minutes, tapping my fingers against my thigh to distract myself from the whirlwind of thoughts clouding my head.

I stared at the red blinking sign that reads "EMERGENCY".

"What do you think is going on inside? Why are they taking so long? Is she going to be okay?" I asked frantically as I looked at Nathan.

"Hey, hey Alex. Don't worry, she will be fine," he assured as he placed his hand on my shoulder for reassurance. As soon as those words came tumbling out of Nathan's mouth, I watched as one of the doctors walked out of the emergency room.

I dashed towards him and looked at him, hope and concern shining in my eyes.

"Are you Diane's relatives?" he asked, as he pulled down his mask.

"Yes, yes we are!" I practically screamed in the doctor's face.

"She is fine for now. But she has to be in the hospital for a few days before she is fully recovered. She will be staying in room 314B. Can someone please follow me to sign some papers?"

"Yeah sure, I will go," Nathan said as he followed the doctor to the counter. I shot him a grateful smile as I ran into the room my mum was in. I pushed open the door to see mum's fragile body laying on the bed. Machines were beeping around her, wires were all around and needles were pierced through her thin and pale skin.

I walked closer to look at her, and my heart broke. I sat down on the cushioned chair next to her and reached out to hold her hand, it was finally a little warm. "Mum, you can't leave us," I whispered as I brought her hand to my face while she laid there with her eyes still closed. "We need you," I admitted as tears flowed down my cheeks uncontrollably.

"Darling," I heard a weak, shaky voice called out. I thought it was a miracle but I had never lifted my head up so quickly, I thought I would break my neck. Mum's eyes were staring back into mine, her lips twitched into a small smile. 

"Mum?"

"Don't cry darling," she reached out to wipe the tears away from my cheeks with her thumb.

"Mum!" I exclaimed as I pulled her close to me. "I was so scared..." I whispered as I hugged her even tighter than before.

"I'm fine darling," she said as she patted my back softly before she erupted into a coughing fit.

I quickly poured a glass of water and passed it to her as she gave me a grateful smile in return.

"Mum, I thought you said it was getting better? What happened?"

"I don't know," she answered honestly. "I just felt giddy for a moment, and before I know it, I fell to the ground and blacked out. I'm sorry about your ice cream though," she said as she chuckled softly.

"Mum... Really? The ice cream is least of my worries right now. You got me worried sick."

"I'm just joking Alexandra. Don't worry about me, I will be fine. The doctor said I can leave in five days time."

"I will stay here with you."

"No, darling. Go home. You need to rest. Besides, you need to work."

"Mum... You know I can't leave you. Not now especially," I said softly as I interlocked her hand with mine and locked my eyes with her's.

"Alright," she said as a small smile crept onto her face.

A/N:
Hey, lovely readers of 'Crossed'! :) I hope you enjoy this chapter because there is so much more coming your way ;D
AND HOLY SHIT GUYS 3K READS OMG! You guys are so so so awesome literally I checked it before my exams and it was at 2.99k and I was like omg that's so close. But just after my exams, BAM I hit 3k :) My readers never fail to amaze me every single time :D

Special dedication to @Emanda09 she is a lovely individual as well :) Thanks for all the support you gave me, I really appreciate that as it gave me the motivation to continue writing for people who love my bk :D I do hope you will continue to enjoy the story!

Lastly, don't forget to vote, comment and share lovelies <3
Much love,
Rachel xx