Chapter 39

It's Sunday now. I've been recording and editing videos all weekend. Levi and I have slowly become friends, and we got our project done which we made an excellent grade on. I just finished packing for Coventry. We are leaving at around ten tomorrow and it's about a two hour car ride. I'm honestly not looking forward to the trip. I hate long car rides, but it will be worth it, right? I was now sitting in the living room with Josh, Freya, and Vik. Simon was upstairs taking a shower. I met Freya Friday and we have gotten along great. It's nice to have another female around. We were watching some ridiculously stupid movie on Netflix that the guys wanted to watch. Freya was sitting next to Josh and Vik was on the other couch. I was laying on the floor, just because I wanted to. There was a knock at the door. I looked around questioningly. It wasn't any of the guys because they would've just walked in. "Not it." Josh said. "Not it." Vik said almost immediately after. I looked at Freya, who put her hands up defensively. "I don't live here." She said with a smirk. I groaned and stood up slowly. I walked to the door and opened it. There was a girl around the guys' age standing there with her hands behind her back. She had light brown hair that was long and wavy. She had beautiful blue eyes and the whitest smile. Her face was completely blemish free. She had the fittest body and was dressed in skinny jeans and a hoodie. She had a little makeup on that I could tell, but not much. Compared to me, a fucking giraffe, she was quite short. She must be Rebekah. "Can I help you?" I asked her in a somewhat rude way. I didn't give a shit. "Umm...hi. I'm Rebekah, I need to speak to Simon." She said in a sweet voice. "Oh yeah, come in and I'll get him for you." She smiled and followed me inside and up the stairs. I didn't hear the shower in the bathroom so I knocked on Simon's door. "Come in." I heard him say from the other side of the door. I opened it quickly and stepped inside, Rebekah stepping in front of me. He smiled when he saw me, but when he looked at her, his expression changed. He looked worried and a little scared. It made me happy for some reason. "You have company." I said and pointed to her. I looked at her and then walked out. I shut the door behind me and sighed. No wonder he would cheat on me with her. She's everything I ever wanted to be. I walked into my room and left my door open. I sat in my desk chair and stared at Simon's closed door. I faintly heard voices that casually got louder. I couldn't hear what they were saying though. "Get out!" I finally heard Simon yell at her. I acted like I was editing when I heard his bedroom door swing open and loud footsteps come out. I heard them all the way down the stairs and the front door slammed. Well shit. "I know you're not editing. You already finished." I heard Simon's voice from the doorway. "What the hell just happened in there?" I asked. He came in and sat down on my bed. I rolled my chair closer to the bed and propped my feet on it. He propped his on the arm of the chair and leaned back on his hands. "Well, I don't have a child to worry about." He said with a smile. "Did she get an abortion?" I asked, suddenly intrigued with his baby mama drama. "No. It wasn't my baby to begin with. She got the test results back and turns out I wasn't the only guy she slept with that night. Fucking whore." He said the last part a little quieter. I giggled. "What?" He asked. "You have no room to be calling people a whore." I said with a smirk. "Oh fuck off." He said with a sigh. "It's true." I said and grabbed my phone out of my pocket because it buzzed. "What's going on with you and Levi?" He asked. "Nothing, we're friends." I said with a nod. Levi was the one who texted me. "I'm sure." Simon said sarcastically. "We are just friends, nothing more." I said as I locked my phone. "Wanna record something with me?" He asked. "Like what?" I asked. "We could do that friendship thing where we ask each other questions that we should know and if we get them wrong, we break an egg over the person who got it wrong's head." He suggested. "I thought you used whip cream and plates." I said. "My version." He said with a smirk. "Sure. Let's do this." I sad and stood up. "I should probably change." I said and walked to my closet. I pulled out a white tank top that said "Free Spirit" on it and black joggers. I went to my dresser and pulled out a black sports bra that I could use as an undershirt. I heard my bedroom door shut and looked behind me to see Simon gone. I got changed and put my hair into a messy, high ponytail. I examined myself in the mirror and nodded. I should wear my hair like this more often. I went downstairs and into the green screen room where Simon was. He was putting down some plastic stuff so the clean up would be easier. I went and and got two chairs for us to use. I placed them on top of the plastic and got all of the eggs we were going to need. This should be fun.

*Skip time to after recording*

     "You look ridiculous." Simon said after turning the camera off. I had gotten a lot wrong, just like him. "Well maybe we should just be better friends." I said as I helped him clean up the mess. We reached for a chair at the same time and our hands briskly touched. I stopped moving, but he continued cleaning. Why did it make my heart flutter? I know why. I still have strong feelings for him. He obviously didn't think anything about it because he probably didn't even feel our hands touch. What am I going to do? It's so hard to move on from someone that you love dearly. "Are you alright?" He asked and put a hand on my shoulder. I shrugged his hand off and stared into his eyes. "I'm okay." I said with a nod. He continued to stare into my eyes, ignoring what I said. He leaned in, closing his eyes lightly. I wanted to kiss him, I really wanted to, but I couldn't. I jerked away from him and when his lips didn't meet anything, he opened his eyes. "I-I'm sorry. I can't." I said and turned around and ran. I ran up the stairs and into my bedroom. I closed the door quickly. What the hell just happened? I heard footsteps run quickly up the stairs and walk slowly, but heavily to my door. "Mackenzie." It was Simon. "I'm so sorry." He said. Why does it have to be so complicated? He opened my door and stepped inside. I was quiet. I stared at him, searching for what he was feeling. "Why did you freak out?" He asked, his voice hoarse. Well, no need in lying. "Because I love you. And it's fucking killing me." I said. My voice barely above a whisper. He was quiet, still staring into my eyes. I don't know what to do anymore. "Why don't we try again?" He asked, his voice a little better than last time. "No. Breakups are like glass. It's better to leave them broken then hurt yourself trying to pick up the pieces." I said. I mentally cringed at how cliché that was. "But you can always wear gloves." He said. I don't want to get back together with him. I love him, yes. I just wanted to stay friends. Only that. We tried to be in a relationship and it didn't work, I'm smart, I'm not putting myself in that position of possibly being hurt again. "Simon, I can't. I just want to be friends. We tried, and it didn't work. It wasn't meant to be." I said, my voice cracking. "Then why do you love me if you don't want to be with me?" He asked, his voice rising. "I don't know! I don't know. Ever since I've started watching you guys at the orphanage, I loved all of you. I think that I love you as a best friend, but my mind doesn't know that yet. I don't want to lose you or the guys if we end horribly if we try again. You guys are my heroes. I can't lose you." I said as a few tears slipped out of my eye. "Heroes wear capes." He said with a slight grin. "Not all heroes wear capes, mine wear headphones." I said and let a few more tears escape. He grinned and walked towards me with his arms open. I hugged him tight, reassuring him that I was never going to lose him. "We might need to go shower." He said As he pulled away and wiped some egg off of my forehead. "Yeah, probably." I said with a giggle. And with that, he left. I sighed and looked around the room. I don't know what I was looking for, but I didn't find it. Maybe I was looking for the lies that I told. Or the truths that I stretched just a little. But there was nothing. This is how things were supposed to be, I knew it.