49

She kept a small distance from the window, being overly cautious about being seen.  She kept in the shadows but close enough she could make out the back of the castle grounds.

There was a bush maze.  Remmy found that fairly peculiar and filed the information away for later.  Just as she suspected, she spotted the guard, making rounds in pairs about the castle perimeter.  She turned and eased over to the lounge area in the library.  That was another reason why this spot ran to the forefront.  It had a fairly comfy couch to lay on while she hid out and ponder her escape.

She lay down and thought about possible plans.  She would have to leave early in the morning, before anyone had realized her absence, and before the castle grew busy. 

She heard a buzzing sound and her heart exploding with fright.  She sat stock still and heard it again.  The rhythmic pulsing reached her recognition.  Someone had left their phone.  She quickly shot up and ran to where she heard it vibrating.  The screen of the phone had lit up and made it easy to find it in the dark.  It had fallen under one of the bookshelves.

Remmy got down on all fours and reached past her elbow to pull it out.  She stared at the phone in her hands.  Something had dried and hardened on the screen and backside of the phone.  Remmy took it to the window tip toeing from the wall out to push the phone into the starlight.  It was blood.  Dried blood had been smeared across the phone. 

Remmy almost dropped it, but she held on, knowing it could be her freedom.  She slid the unlock screen and the background picture was of Sean and a girl. This was Sean's phone, and it had blood on it.  It was probably Sean's blood.  Knowing she couldn't risk the chance of someone hearing a conversation, she made out to quickly type a message to Aldric.  She hadn't gotten a few words in when tears started streaming down her face.  She wiped her eyes with the back of her hands, clearing the obstructions from her sight and set out to type her last sentence. 

Before she could finish, the screen went black.  The phone had died before she could get a message out for someone to save her.  Remmy let the tears come now, unbidden.  She slid her back down the wall and collapsed into the floor, silently crying out her frustration.

She needed to be strong.  She could do this on her own.  She had always done everything on her own.  She had made it to be Ruler on her own.  No, not on her own,  Aldric, Mack, and Aurora had all helped her.  She could use some of their help now.

Remmy set the phone down, no longer wanting to touch her friend's blood and face the possibility of his death just yet.  She pulled her knees to her chest and laid her cheek on them and looked at the phone.  She could do this on her own.  She could escape and go back to Aldric.  They could flee whoever had wanted her here.  That thought was nice to dream about, but she couldn't do it.  She couldn't bare the thought of leaving anyone behind.  If that man had come for her, he might come for anyone of her friends.

She needed to protect them.  She needed to do what was right.  She also had to stay alive to do that.  If she left now, they would hunt her down again.  They might take any one of her friends to lure her out of hiding.  No she needed to end this.  If she was strong and smart enough to be Ruler, she could do this.