26

Remmy tried her best not to out shine anyone in her classes, but it was harder than she thought. She loved learning new things and the smaller class size meant they covered more topics than a normal class would. She sighed, Remmy was on her way to being best in class without effort. She had worked so hard over the years to get to a position a fourth as good as this. She thought it was what she wanted, but Aldric had changed that.

    He stole her thoughts at every waking moment since their introduction. The pull on her was unsettling and drove her longing for his presence. Being with him, was new experience for her. She had never had a boyfriend, and the thought rarely crossed her mind before. Now she didn't know what life would be like without him. He had changed her life already, and her life would continue to change. Meeting Aldric was like a calm pond being touched, everything smooth and his interruption caused a ripple effect of events, altering her once plain life.

    She had grown closer to Aurora, was certainly closer with Mack, gained a new power, and had been selected to possibly be the new Ruler. The last few weeks had been more eventful than her last five years. Remmy couldn't imagine what other possibilities her future held. She had fantasized about being with Aldric, getting married with children. She could be the new Ruler and fulfill her unknowing dream. The path she was heading on would have led her to graduating early at the age of twenty and pursuing a career. She didn't know which path to choose. She wanted both, but was at a fork in the road. She had to choose one, and the leave the other behind.

    What was a life worth living, without the feeling of love? Without being wanted? Being Ruler would be an empty shell without those people in her life. However proud Aurora and Mack would be, she would miss them. The thought hadn't passed her mind but she had intertwined their lives with hers. She had been alone for so long, she had imagined herself to continue to be alone, letting no one in. She had put up a wall, and Aldric had broken it down without knowing, letting everyone in who wanted. Remmy wanted to keep them all close. She didn't want to let anyone of them go. Determination stilled her reserve as she pushed the heavy door of the library open.

    She had to get out of training with Aurora to follow down the path she wanted in life. This was going to be hard. She couldn't lie to Aurora, couldn't make excuses. It wasn't in Remmy's nature to lie, and lying to Aurora would bring about a plague of guilt. Telling the truth was the only option, and Remmy hoped Aurora would accept it.

    She steadied her pace to her table. Aurora would find her soon enough and Remmy wanted to get this over with. She sat down at her familiar seat and waited for Aurora to approach her.

    It didn't take long for Aurora to sit down next to her. "What has depressed you so dear?"

    Remmy sighed, time to face the lights. "I don't want to train with you." Aurora sat, face unchanging waiting for the reason why. "I want to train with you, but if I do, I will be the best of the ten selected and win. I don't want to lose Aldric." Remmy kept her feelings on Aurora and Mack to herself. She was already putting so much of herself in the light.

    Aurora took all of this information in before speaking. "Oh my dear, you will not lose him. It will most certainly be a harder fight to keep him, but there are ways. Being the Ruler would give you so many opportunities you didn't know were available to you. But if you don't want to train with me, I understand. I will be here if you need anything, or if you change your mind." Aurora squeezed her shoulder and walked away.

    Remmy let out a breath. That was easier than she thought it would be. As much as it pained her, she decided not to study and go straight to work.

    Mack was surprised to see her in his office, and early no less.

    "Hey girl, what happened ta trainin' with Aurora?"         

Mack was a little easier to lie to, but Remmy thought against it.

    "I decided not to. I'm excelling in my classes without the extra help and am doing quite well."

    "That's good news ta hear, but if ya change yer mind, let me know. I don't mind givin ya some time off."     

    Remmy smiled at him.

    "Thanks Mack, you're the best fairy god mother a girl could have." Remmy giggled and Mack shook his head.

    Remmy had everything figured out the best she could for right now. She just had to get through the next couple of days and not win the preliminary. Everyone had been supportive of her and Aldric had been even more so. He gave her space when she needed and was there for any extra support.