28

They drove in silence, enjoying the comfortable calm that had settled in the air.  His hand rested on her knee, his fingers forming small swirls, only pulling away to shift gears.  The tension coiled deep in her belly.  His touch sent waves of heat to her core.  She didn't want her face to betray her, so she focused her gaze at the scenery drifting by.  They drove for some time before pulling onto a dirt road and up a hill. 

Paper lanterns adorned a massive oak tree centered on the top of the grassy hill.  A blanket had been set out in the shade.  Remmy got out of the car after Aldric opened the door for her and she made her way up the hill to the tree without him. 

Aldric pulled the basket out of the trunk and jogged to catch up with her.  He pulled her hand into his and intertwined their fingers, watching her as they topped the hill waiting to see the awe on her face grow. 

Her heart slowed and pounded harder at the same time.  Their blanket overlooked a lake and the sun had just set, leaving a dim orange glow across the sky.  The blanket laid out was large and had a few pillows out to lounge on.  By the time she had taken in the beauty of her surroundings, Aldric had their picnic set up.  He had brought chicken salad sandwiches with red wine and cheese cake.  Remmy sat down across from him, still looking at all the natural beauty that surrounded her.

Aldric had a hard time taking his eyes off of Remmy, observing the amazement her face portrayed.  She was intoxicating.  He poured them both a glass and handed one to hers. 

"Why are you doing this for me?"  her voice was quiet and innocent. 

He smiled, "Can't a guy take his girlfriend out on a date?" 

Remmy smiled sweetly back at him.  "If you take me out on anymore, Mack might run out of shirts." 

"I'll take note of that.  I just want to relax and let you have some fun before the preliminary tomorrow."  This might be the last time he got to have her to himself, but he didn't want to put any stress on her about how tomorrow's outcome could affect their future.

Remmy was already at ease and took sip of wine.  She scooted over to sit next to him and leaned on his shoulder.  They watched the color drain out of the sky as the stars began to come out.  It hadn't taken very long for her to feel the effects of the alcohol.   

"You need to eat when you drink.  I'm not trying to get you drunk." 

Remmy giggled, "Yes master."  She picked up a triangle of sandwich and took a bite.  "This is the same kind I had when I went to your place the day I met you." 

"Yes it is, and I made the cheesecake myself."

Remmy finished off her triangle and took another.  "Why are you such a good cook?" 

"My parents fell in love over food, they wanted to own a restaurant, but money was tight after my mom got pregnant with me.  They settled on the diner and I grew up watching my parents in the kitchen.  What about your parents?"

Remmy looked down at her hands before she spoke.  "My parents didn't really want me.  They took care of me but never loved me.  One day I told them I was leaving, I left them a note of where I would be.  I left the human world and entered this one on my own.  They never came for me.  I worked for everything I have, but I don't hate them for it.  In my eyes it makes me a better person."

Remmy took a long drink of wine and held up her glass for another.  It was her third glass and Aldric was going to make it a fourth after hearing her admission.

"Time for dessert?"

Remmy nodded.  "I've never had cheesecake before." 

Aldric smiled.  "You will love it."