15

Remmy stood there for a moment, one hand over her belly and the other touching her lips. Who knew that would feel so good. She walked out of the kitchen and collapsed into bertha. She knew it was wrong but she used her ability to relive every second in her mind. She was smiling so hard her cheeks were beginning to hurt.

She didn't know how long she had been sitting there when Mack walked in. She got up quickly and walked over to him, trying her best to hide the feelings from her face. Mack gave her a once over for a moment and stopped what he was doing.

"Who was here?" he said nonchalantly but with every intention of getting the answer.

"How do you know someone was here?" Remmy wanted to know what had given up her secret so she could hide it better next time. She might be staying with Mack but she still wanted some privacy.

"Cause thuh door was unlocked an' we always keep it locked an' 'cause of how you're actin'." He paused for a moment stilling his whole burly frame. "It was uh boy wasn't it?"

Remmy's face was beat red with embarrassment. It didn't seem that bad until it had come out of Mack's mouth. She wasn't sure if he was going to be mad or fuming. "Yes. And he made dinner. Yours is in the microwave."

Mack chuckled. "Tryin ta soften me up? I'm not mad, but I don't care who is here, you keep that door locked. There's uh shotgun hidden under thuh brown jacket too, in case ya need it." Mack heated up his food and turned to her. "I don't need ta have thuh talk with ya do I?"

"The talk, no. Please don't. I know where babies come from. This guy is different. It's almost like I can sense it."

Mack pulled his food out and grabbed a beer from the fridge. Remmy followed him into the living room and she sat on the couch while he took bertha.

"Good cause I'm not good at all that stuff. Just don't do anything while I'm here. Ya don't have ta sneak around, just show some respect for this old man."

This was bordering on embarrassment again. Remmy nipped it in the bud. "You don't have to worry about that. I don't think Aldric would want to even be here with a big guy like you and a shot gun by the door."

"Did ya say Aldric? As in Aldric Walton?"

Remmy's face fell as she saw the emotion on Mack's. "Yeah, you know him?" She let the words out slowly, hoping it wasn't as bad as what she thought it was.

Mack looked thoughtful for a moment as he took a few bites of steak. He sighed deeply.

"I knew his parents when they were alive. They were good people. He's uh really good kid, last time I saw. Ya couldn't have picked better girl."

It was good news to her ears but the sadness in his voice made her heart break. She left the subject alone completely.

"I think I'm gonna go to bed Mack. I'll see you tomorrow at work."

"Sure girl. If ya get up early you can catch uh ride with me if ya like."

"Ok, thanks Mack. Enjoy your dinner."

Remmy closed the door behind her and began to get ready for bed. She thought about the sadness in Mack's voice and the heat between her and Aldric. Her mood had climaxed and cascaded. Lately it was like life was taking her on a roller coaster ride. She was rising up and up and would fall a little, only to be raised back up even more. When she finally hit the big drop she wondered if she would be able to handle it.