27

Sitting in Mack's office felt pretty good while waiting on their assignments. Pieces of her life were falling into place. The crew filtered in and Mack had sent them all out on separate tasks. Remmy had been ordered to check on the landscaping. Remmy found it strange, it wasn't normally in their job description. A whole different department held that task, but Remmy didn't argue.

    "Is there anything in particular I need to look for?"

    "Nah girl, you'll know if ya see anything." Mack smiled and waved her out of the office. "Quit lolly gaggin' an' get ta work."

    Remmy smiled at his odd behavior and shook her head as she walked out of the office. She stepped outside and inspected the bushes and trees for anything out of place. It looked like the bushes and grass had just been trimmed. She didn't see any low or broken branches in the trees. She continued down one side and spotted a garden hose piled on the ground. She sighed and started to roll it back up and hang it on the piece of rebar sticking out of the building. She continued around the corner and stopped in her tracks.

    Aldric was standing there, in a pair of slacks and a button down shirt. His hair was fixed in that purposely messy way and the top button on his shirt left undone. He had a bouquet of daffodils and smiled at her. She stood dumbstruck as he walked to her.

    "Hello gorgeous."

    He took his free hand and cupped her face. He brushed her lips with his and she reacted, deepening the kiss. He broke the moment and looked into her eyes. He quickly closed them and rested his forehead on hers.

    "Hello handsome." Remmy replied softly.

    He pulled back from her and took her hand leading her away.

    "I can't go anywhere Aldric, I'm at work."

    Aldric turned back to her and smiled.

    "I asked Mack to let you off for the night, so we could have some time before the preliminary."

    Remmy began to walk with him unaware of where he was leading her.

    "You are sneaky. You know, next time you can just ask me."

    Aldric turned to her, "But then it wouldn't be a surprise."

    Remmy laughed and they walked to a pretty little blue car. "My my you are so sneaky!"

    Aldric opened the passenger side door to the s2000, watching Remmy's hesitation as she got in. He closed her door walked around to the driver side and sat down. He turned the key and the engine roared to life. Remmy squealed as the car charged out of the parking lot and headed down the road.

    Remmy spent most of the time looking at Aldric instead of paying attention to where they were going. It almost felt like she was playing hookey to hang out with her boyfriend, even though Mack knew about her adventure before she did. She felt a slight pang of disappointment when they pulled into her drive. Aldric was still all smiles as he opened her door for her.

    "Go get changed into something nice. I don't want anyone to think I'm the beauty and you're the beast."

    Aldric's eyes twinkled at her and his happiness was contagious. She ran into the house and straight to her closet. She took off her dingy white shirt and jeans in search of something to match his level of extravagancy. She quickly became sullen staring at her bland closet.

    She never had any nice clothes, never had a reason or place to wear them. She collapsed down on her bed and stared around her room. She saw Aurora's old book and jumped up, hoping to find an answer. It seemed like a silly thing to be asking a powerful book, but it was something she needed.

    She flipped through the pages and let the book fall open. She whispered to herself, "Please please please" and the ink started to appear. It showed a how to on making a sleeveless dress from a much larger t-shirt.

    "Yes!"

    She closed the book and placed it back on the shelf. She opened her door a crack to check for Aldric. He was sitting on the couch waiting for her and was about to say something when she slammed the door closed.

    She went to the bathroom and grabbed a towel covering herself before making her way over to Mack's room. She was about to break one of the house rules, about never going into his personal area. Remmy hoped he would forgive her. Aldric looked at her funny and she quickly dashed to Mack's room and closed the door behind her.

    His room was neater than he had left his house, but it was still a mess. She went straight to his closet and found nothing but flannel button ups. She closed the closet and went to a dresser on the wall. Not wanting to see his underwear, she pulled the second drawer open and found what she was looking for.

    It was a simple black shirt and it was exactly what she needed. She dropped her towel and took off her bra. She put the shirt on how the book had showed her, with the neck hole snug around the top of her chest and tucking the sleeves in front, one over the other. She picked up her things and made her way back to her room sashaying half the way there.

    Her little triumph fueled her while she applied a little make up and let her hair down. She pinned it up on one side and let the other fall over her shoulder. She finished off the look with some pink lipstick and a few sprits of perfume. She didn't want to go out on a date smelling like Mack. She pulled on a pair of flats and walked out her door, wanting to see the look on Aldric's face.

    He was not disappointed when she walked out ready to go. The little bit of training they had done together was showing results, her dress fit snuggly in all the right places. He stood and walked over to her, his voice showing the stun of her appearance.

    "You look amazing."

    Remmy smiled and in that quiet sweet voice, "Thank you. I didn't have anything to wear and borrowed Mack's shirt."

    Aldric couldn't help but laugh. "It looks way better on you than it ever could on him."