38

Remmy sighed and pulled the paper to her, afraid to see what she had in store.  This was her kind of project.  She was more brain than braun.  She looked to her left at the other two and wondered how well they would fair.  Yorick was beginning to write his answer down and Anthony seemed to be rereading the problem over.

Remmy wrote her name at the top of the page.  She was tempted to read the paragraph.  She loved a good problem.  But if she wrote nothing, she could hope to hear someone else's answer before hers and just copy off of them.  She would get less votes and hoped she would not be chosen.

Time ticked by slowly.  It was only twenty minutes in but it had felt like hours.  Yorick had finished first, only a few minutes after reading the problem.  Remmy had set her pen down shortly after him to signal she was finished.  Anthony was scribbling away and finally set his down.  He looked up with a smile on his face.  Sean approached their table and gathered the paper.  When he took Remmy's and saw nothing on it other than her name, he frowned at her.  He filed it to the back and Remmy silently thanked him.

Now she would have two people to cheat from instead of none or one.  Sean reached center stage and began. 

"I will read a name and that person's corresponding answer.  First up is Yorick.  A law has been broken, and the appropriate action should be taken.  No one is above the law.  An example should be made out of the felon for others to see.   This will then quieten any further felons from acting against course.  Faltering from punishment can show weakness.  However, over punishment can show cruelty.  It is not so much in the law itself but to make sure the punishment fits the law broken."

Sean paused for a moment to look to his left and right.  No one asked any questions about Yorick's response.  Remmy felt that in some circumstances Yorick's answer was just but for the most part, it didn't apply to today's need.  Sean spoke up. 

"And what if the felon was a loved one?"

Yorick kept his back straight and kept his unblinking eyes on Sean.  "The law is the law, and it is there for every soul." 

Sean nodded and shuffled the paper to the back.

"Anthony.  The laws are guidelines set in force to serve a majority of population.  It does not always fit with everyone's needs.  As such, in certain circumstances, leniency can be shown, to give the people faith and trust in their Ruler to do what is right.  Empathy for the realm will be rewarded by loyalty."

Sean waited for someone to ask a question and silence fell on the room.  Anthony was correct with his regardless of the question, but too much leniency would prove the Ruler weak.  The laws in place fit 99% of their realm currently.  It was extremely rare for someone to break a law and not see some form of punishment.  Remmy had almost forgotten about not giving an answer until Sean shuffled the paper and now her heart was pounding at a frantic pace.

"Remmy."  Sean dropped the papers to his side and looked at her.  "I don't see an answer on your sheet, care to enlighten the council of your thoughts on the issue?"

Remmy thought for a moment.  She stood and looked over to Yorick and then to Anthony.  She could bullshit her way through this, giving an answer in between both of theirs or she could flat out refuse.  Refusal would be insulting to the council but it would guarantee she would not be chosen Ruler.  But if she wasn't chosen, she would be placed on the council eventually.  She would have to see these people again.  They would remember her refusal.  Remmy sighed.  She looked over the council and then at Sean.  Bullshit it is.

"The law is the law.  It is set forth by the council and amended over time to adjust to cultural needs.  Currently it is just and appropriate.  If there is a law being broken repeatedly, an example should not be made of one felon."  Remmy could feel Yorick smile at her but she continued. "The law should be looked at again, along with the felons to see if there is a link in the chain that isn't fitting.  It should be rewritten if appropriate and placed into immediate enforcement."  Sean watched her and when she didn't speak any further he asked, "Can you give an example?"

Remmy didn't take long to think of one.  "If there are children of various ages stealing from a certain area and the law is the law, then there would be a problem.  According to Yorick, an example would be made out of one, leaving the rest to live harsh lives.  And if you follow Anthony, the children would grow up to be thieves, the only loyalty they would portray, would be to their thief friends.  If you followed my way, you would see that those children of various ages live in an orphanage that is overwhelmed with children and not not enough food or money to cloth them.  Instead of enforcing the current law, you could create a new one on any number of items to get the children proper care.  It could be increased tax on food items that would in turn go to orphanage or that items a week from expiring are donated."  The corners of Sean's lips turned up slightly and he nodded to Remmy.  She bowed back and took her seat. 

Sean looked to both sides of him and with silence he spoke once more.  "I would like to thank each one of you on behalf of the council.  You all have given us some very astounding things to consider and a great decision weighs upon us.  We will see you in the banquet hall for dinner where that decision will be announced.  You are all free to go." 

Yorick and Anthony stood and hurriedly walked towards the door.  Remmy took her time.  She was done.  There was nothing she could do now to change any one of the council members minds.  The anxiety of the test was gone, replaced by the one for the results.  Remmy hadn't gotten a fourth the way to the door when Sean called out to her.

"Remmy?"

Remmy turned to him, the rest of the council members still on the stand discussing the proceedings amongst themselves.

"Did you even read the riddle?"  Sean's face looked somewhere between pained and elated.

Remmy chuckled.  "I didn't have to, the other two read it for me, and gave their answers.  I listened to what they thought were correct and gave my biased opinion."

Sean smiled and shook his head.  "I look forward to seeing you again."  He turned back to the council and she left out of the room.

She found her way back to her room with ease, she just had to listen for the boys laughing in the distance and followed the sound.  Remmy was sure she was the butt of what was making them laugh so hard.  She sighed and continued on. 

She had the rest of her day planned out.  She would shower, eat lunch, and finish reading her book.  By that time, she would get ready for the feast which was sure to last most of the night.  She would then either get drunk from despair of being chosen, or drunk from happiness of not.  She had a ride home the next day and could sleep through the hang over if she needed.

Remmy rounded the corner to her hall and found Yorick waiting for her by her door.  As she walked closer, she saw he was twirling her plum bathing suit top around his finger.  She felt the heat rise to her face and tried to force it back down.  She walked to her door and tried to open it with her key card, but her fingers shook with frazzled nerves. 

"I was wondering, if you wanted to go for a swim?  I can give you your top back, but I prefer you without it."  Remmy felt the heat pour onto her side from his body.  It felt like they were almost touching.  She didn't want to look up and see how close he was.  She didn't want him to see the crimson color of her cheeks.  She silently thanked the heavens when she heard the click of the lock and almost ran into her room.  She slammed the door behind her and dead bolted it closed.

Remmy stared at the closed door for a moment before her cheeks came back and her nerves eased.  She turned back to the tornado that was now her room and began picking things up to organize it. 

She knew she wouldn't want to do it when she was drunk and knew it would not get done if she had a hang over.  She made her way to the clothes from the pool and spied her top.  It was the same one she had seen Yorick twirling. 

What a jackass!  He had used his sensual power to trick her into seeing her top.  He had used it to embarrass her and she let him.  Remmy would not be fooled again.  Not by him.