41

Remmy stood up and the alcohol hit her equilibrium.  She tripped over the air and was caught from the side by strong arms.  Remmy righted her legs and the arms loosened, but kept their contact.

"Drowning in your sorrows is best done without heels."

Remmy turned her face up to her savior and was meet by piercing grey eyes.  His face held age, but his smile was all charm.  He must have been in his early forties, but had somehow remained attractive for someone his age.

"Sorrows?  There is nothing to have sorrow for.  This.  Is a celebration."  Remmy giggled.  Yorick had gotten what he wanted, though it was not earned, and Remmy had gotten what she had wanted.

"Ah, so you did not want to be Ruler?"

Remmy smiled at him.  She let him guide her to the ballroom where they continued their conversation.

"I wanted it, but there is something else I want more.  I. am not spoiled and cannot have both."

The debonair man took the clutch from Remmy's arm and set it down on a table.  He led her out onto the floor and placed a hand in hers and the other around her back.  They began to dance before Remmy knew what was happening. 

"A beautiful woman like you should get anything she desires, but do tell.  What is it you desire more than a position of power and loyalty?"

"The heart wants what it wants."

Mr. Rico Suave grinned down at her and continued to dance.  Remmy knew that she would not be able to dance at all without his support, but he was beginning to hold her a little too close.  Before Remmy could excuse herself, he did it for her.

"I think it's time to get back to your personal celebration.  Let me walk you to your table?"  He loosened his grip once more but kept a hand on the small of her back to guide her.  He held her seat out for her and continued to be a perfect gentleman.

"I don't believe a gorgeous woman like yourself will be sitting here long.  I have enjoyed our conversation and before the night is over, I would like another dance if you could fit me in."

Remmy smiled up to him, the alcohol smoothing over her thoughts.  "Only if I last until then.  I'm off to a great start."  Remmy hadn't thought the words had more than one meaning, but she could see in his eyes they had.  He walked away with a smile and Remmy followed him with her eyes.  He stopped and talked to a waiter, who in turn made his way over to her.

The waiter placed a glass of champagne in front of Remmy and nodded to her.  She said a polite thank you and took a sip.  It bubbled down her throat and had a different flavor from wine or beer.  Remmy wondered how they could each taste so different yet all contained a sweet elixir that slowed her mind.  She giggled to herself.  Oh the things she would do if Aldric were here.  She would have to settle for drunk texting him later, if she even made it out of this room.

The champagne tasted exquisite and had emptied itself faster than the wine had.  The waiter kept her replenished without asking.  No matter where she was in the grand room, he was close by.  Remmy had a feeling it was something to do with Rico Suave.  She was now on her third glass and time had eclipsed her.  Her bladder was the only thing dictating her actions right this moment.  She made her way pass the bar and stumbled into Sean, nearly falling on her face.  She managed to reach out for him, and he grabbed her arm to steady her. 

"I am sooo sorry."  Remmy knew as soon as the words came out of her mouth she was drunk.  This was not going to end well, but she couldn't contain herself.  She laughed and nearly fell again.  Sean didn't seem pleased.  He quit the conversation he was holding and told the couple he was talking to he would meet up with them later.