seven

Remmy walked studiously into the diner. She was going to get somewhere right then. She was on a mission. Sensing this, Lilly gave Remmy a gentle smile and walked to the kitchen. Remmy almost barged into the back office Lilly had silently pointed her to.

Aldric didn't startle though and greeted her with a grin.

"Why do you keep coming back to me?"

Remmy's face grew crimson, she couldn't tell if it was from embarrassment or anger.

"Look I just want to know why some of your buddies would accost Lilly and I for your phone number?"

Aldric's face flattened his jaw twitched on one side.

"What buddies?"

"The line backers from the guard. They caught us in the woods on the way back from the library."

Aldric sighed.

"Yeah, I know who you are talking about now. I was in training with them to be a part of the guard, but I never finished. They aren't my buddies either. I'm not like them."

Aldric didn't want to say anything more. He didn't want to tell her that he had to drop because his parents had died in the human world, a really mundane accident a few years ago. He had to take over the diner to pay the bills. The life insurances paid off the diner and left a little bit extra, but that only lasted a few months.

Remmy could tell he was holding back on something. and quickly changed the subject.

"What are you like then?" She folded her arms and tried her best to look intimidating and fill the space in the doorway.

This threw Aldric off and he stumbled for words. Not knowing what to say he smiled and pumped it full of charm. Remmy's face flushed crimson once more and she dropped her act, since it didn't get the response she wanted. Quite the opposite actually.

She waited a moment longer, for him to break the silence, for him to do anything so she could stop dying a million deaths of embarrassment.  When her cheeks began to cool, she used her current state to her advantage.

"I also kind of need your help, and I think you owe it to me after not one, but two attacks somehow due to you."

"Oh? And what is it that you want from me this time, my pants?"

The flush Remmy had been fighting off reached her face in full palor.

"No, I want you to train me in hand to hand combat."

Aldric looked a little confused. Concern crept into his voice. He turned to fully face her.

"What did they do to you? I dont see any bruising or broken bones."

Remmy cut him short, "I'd rather not talk about it, but my level of self defense needs to be bumped up a few rungs."

Aldric felt his protectiveness kick in to overdrive. "Which one was it? Just let me know Remmy and I will take care of it for you." His voice started out with a hint of rage and ended soft and caring.

Remmy took a slow breath. "It doesn't matter. You're not going to be there for everything and you're not much more than a friend to me. I just want to be able to take care of myself if I need to. The school doesn't really offer this kind of thing and from what I saw in the exchange and in the study down the street, you know exactly what you are doing."

Aldric didn't want to argue. He wanted to keep her safe, and if that meant teaching her how to protect herself then he would. He did feel bad about getting her into something she wasn't prepared for, twice now. The other positive benefit would be getting to see her.

He knew she was not of his allelomorph and would not pursue anything with her. It wasn't that he didn't want to, but he didn't want to put her into trouble. He kept what he was a secret, and kept to himself to keep that secret.

"Okay. Swing by after class three days a week and we can continue until I feel comfortable with your skills."

Remmy nodded and walked out of the office. This was what she wanted but now she would have to figure out how to arrange her studying and work. In her mind, she thought it would be one or two workouts and she would be good. It seemed like Aldric wanted to make her a ninja warrior.