23

Remmy quickly found out how stiff her competition was.  She was one of the top competitors in Hilda's class, but was falling short in a few others.  She had held her own in ethics and history, as well as battlefield strategy.  In hand to hand combat and weapons training she was close to the bottom.  Remmy had just started training with Aldric and it had paid off, there were only two girls who had faired worse than her.  Now she would have to get serious during her training sessions and become a skilled fighter overnight.

The day went by swiftly and soon she found herself at the library, eager to tell Aurora the news.  Before she could make it to the table Aurora intersected her path.

"Congratulations dear."  Aurora gave Remmy a hug, which was beyond normal for Aurora.  Remmy took great pride in this and smiled deeply. 

"Thank you.  I was just coming to tell you the news, How did you hear anyway?"

"I know more than you think.  If you need any help with your training let me know, and I will try the best I can."

Remmy laughed a little.  "I have the knowledge down, but am having a problem with the physical aspect.  I suck at hand to hand and weapons.  You really don't seem like the type that could help me with that, no offense."

"Never judge one by their appearance.  I am excellent at the katana and broad sword.  The rest I am good at and would be more than willing to teach you a few techniques."

Remmy thought to question her but decided against it.  "That would be great, I will let you know tomorrow.  I have training today with Aldric and need to get going before I'm late.  See you tomorrow Aurora."

Remmy had prepared a bag for training and took it to school with her.  That way she could go straight to the facility after school.  Her plans had changed a little with the big announcement, and she hoped she wasn't too late with Aldric. 

She got there and saw he had waited for her outside the building.  His bag slumped at his feet. 

"You ready?  Today is going to be much tougher than Saturday." 

Remmy smiled at him and let him unlock the door before she broke the news. 

"I hope so, because I was picked to be in the tournament for the new Ruler."  She was ready for him to be ecstatic for her but that didn't happen.

"Congratulations Remmy."  Aldric smiled at her but it didn't reach his eyes.  He knew what this meant for them and either Remmy hadn't thought it over, or didn't care about him as much as he thought.

"What's wrong? You should be happy for me."  Remmy crossed her arms and waited for a response.  She saw the conflict play over his features and he began to walk down the hall way to the locker room. 

"I am happy for you.  Very happy.  But if you get this, Then I can't have this."  Aldric moved his hands in between them signaling their forming relationship.  His face began to look pained.  "If you want my help, I will gladly give it to you, but it will be a long rough road if you expect to be able to keep me in the end."

Remmy had not thought about that factor.  Most Rulers didn't have a spouse and the few that did were married to their own kind and had gotten married before the selection.  She wasn't married to Aldric and he wasn't her own kind.  Tears began to well up in her eyes.  "I'm so sorry Aldric, what have I done?"

Aldric pulled her into an embrace.  "You haven't done anything but be yourself.  You were chosen not elected and you can still get out of this yet if you want to.  I know it is not in your nature to cheat, to be dishonest, but we can figure this out together."