39

Remmy picked a deep blue dress and a pair of gold strapped shoes to wear to the announcement.  She was surprised to see the castle had provided expensive jewelry as well. 

She was now dressed for the occasion, but needed her neck up to match.  She discovered that the castle had truly provided everything a girl would need.  More than Remmy would need.  Make-up and hair accessories filled the bathroom drawers.  Remmy went with simple elegance and kept her face light and her hair natural.  She took her time and pinned her locks to her head to produce an up do Quin would be jealous of.  She finished her head to toe look and still had a little time to herself.  She walked out to the balcony and looked out over the field, passed the pool, and then to the light blue sky.

In the next hour, she would know what her future held.  Whether Aldric would be by her side.  She was guaranteed a position on the council after she finished school and still had almost two years before then when she would have to move into the castle. Remmy hoped that Aldric would move with her, but she couldn't ask him to give up Walton's.  She knew he would.  He would give it all up for her.  Aldric would fight to stay with her. 

Remmy trusted him and hoped she hadn't broke his trust on this.  She hoped she hadn't failed him.  Remmy pulled her arms around herself.  She loved him.  She let a tear slip and fall silently down her cheek.  If she failed him, she would not let him go.  She could runaway with him, live in the human world. 

She smiled to herself.  That thought was clearly fantasy.  She would not run away from responsibility.  It would go against everything she had worked so hard for.  Remmy thought about Holden, running away from his problems.  Salinger had struck a nerve with her today.  Remmy loosened her arms and walked back into her room, spying her phone.  She had a text from Aldric. "You are such a tease.  Can't wait to see you back in my arms." 

Remmy smiled and sent him a reply. 

"About to go to my death sentence.  Wish you were here, I could use some arm candy."

Remmy walked back to the closet and picked out a gold sparkly clutch to match her dress.  Before she could put her phone in, it vibrated.  She opened the lock screen and found Aldric had sent her a picture.  He was at the training facility in the middle of a work out.  He was shirtless and drenched with sweat.  His hair was drowned and in a mess like he had run his hands through it. 

"Don't think I qualify currently"

Remmy gasped and giggled.  She bit her lip and stared at the picture.  She tucked her phone away and headed to the door.  Time to face her future.