45

"Haven't seen you in forever!"

"Hey Lilly."

"You have to tell me all about being at the castle!  Aldric hasn't told me anything and I am dying for details."

Remmy gave her a displeased look.  She had just made it to her locker and Lilly had cornered her.  She had missed Lilly, but as soon as Lilly's mouth opened, she quickly dismissed that feeling.

"It was pretty nice."

Lilly gave Remmy a look for her to continue but silence came between them.  Lilly filled the gap not wanting to intrude into Remmy's feelings.

"I heard it is better than a resort, and they have a heated olympic sized swimming pool.  Could you imagine swimming outside in the winter?"

Remmy got a disgruntled look on her face.  She remembered the pool plenty.  It was rather splendid, until the next morning.  Lilly sensed her displeasure at the topic and quickly changed to another.

"Was the final challenge hard?  How did a ceptual win over you?  You're clearly the best there is knowledge wise."

Remmy thought of the best way to answer this.  She didn't want to divulge that she had in fact won, or that Yorick had cheated.  Right now she just wanted to go back to her normal life.  Well as normal as it could be.

"Brain power isn't all there is when you are Ruler."

Lilly frowned.  "Yeah I guess you're right, but it will come in handy when you become a member of the council.  Oh! Did you hear that the Ruler had forgone the twenty four hour law and was crowned the next morning?  I guess you must of.  You were there."

Remmy stopped putting her books up in her locker and turned to face Lilly fully in disbelief.

"I wasn't there for that.  How do you know?"

Lilly smiled at knowing something Remmy did not.

"It's all anyone has been talking about, that and the new laws."

Remmy shot her a questioning look as she closed her locker and started to walk down the hall.

"Where have you been?  The Ruler made changes to some of the current laws and has made some new ones."

"I have been catching up on my studies and been hanging out with Aldric.  What all has changed?"

"The Ruler has set a curfew for all but the guard.  And he has sealed off the entrances to the human world and most of the passages to keep all the allelomorphs in their own territories.  He also passed a law to forgo council approval for making improvements to current laws.  Then he ruled that the council go on mandatory vacation for the next two weeks.  I think that is pretty awesome of him."

Remmy started to drone Lilly out after that.  Her mind turning over what she had just heard.  Yorick had sectioned everyone off.  He had disbanded the council temporarily and managed to make it where he was solely responsible for everything.  He was making his rulership into a dictatorship.  Remmy had not been out of the loop for more five days and in that time, he had managed to almost overturn their realm's current system. 

She needed to call Sean.  She had a feeling that if Yorick continued on his path, things would get very bad for everyone.  She had not started to feel guilty yet for letting her rightful win go, but if she didn't investigate and see that this was just a show of power, the guilt might eat at her with every new law.

She cut Lilly off mid-sentence.  "Hey, um I just forgot I need to do something.  Catch up with you later?"  Remmy gave her most promising smile.

"Of course, maybe we could meet up after school at the library?"

Remmy nodded and turned back the way she had came.  The library seemed like as good as place as any to start her investigation, right after she called Sean.  Aurora should have some insight as to what was going on.  She pulled the phone out of her back pocket and dialed Sean's number.  It rang and went to voicemail.

"It's Remmy, was just wondering how things were going and if you had a chance to see to what we talked about.  Call me back."

She silently cursed.  He hadn't called her like he said he would.  He hadn't answered his phone just now.  Sean didn't seem like the kind of person that said they would do something and then not do it.  He was too honest, too trustworthy.  He was a member of the council.  Even if he had gone on his mandatory vacation, he would have given her some piece of information.