35

Remmy spent rest of the time in a giant distraction of Aldric. She didn't want to think about the final tournament and Aldric had sensed this. He kept them busy most of the weekend and time had flown by. Now she was packing to leave for the journey. Aldric watched her as she roughed up her clothes.

    "I can go with you."

    Remmy stopped packing her clothes for a split second before replying. "That won't be necessary. I know what I need to do."

    Aldric wrapped his arms around her waist from behind. Remmy stiffened and turned in his arms. When she meet his gaze, her muscles relaxed. "I will come back to you." Her voice was soft and promising. He kissed her with longing, letting his lips softly touch hers tenderly.

    "I am doing this alone. I can do this for us."

    Aldric looked into her eyes and quickly kissed her forehead. Without another word he left, keeping his thoughts to himself and leaving Remmy with hers to overwhelm her. "I can do this."

    The next morning passed in a haze. Remmy hadn't slept well. She tossed and turned with worry and was now suffering the consequences. Mack had given her a ride to school where a few of the elders would escort her to the capitol. She would spend a day there to get comfortable then the next day would be the challenge. No one had told her what she would be facing, so it was hard to come up with a plan to fail. She would have to think on the fly to get the outcome she wanted. After the challenge they would rest and the results would be announced at dinner.

    She was expected to be dressed well for the dinner and had been provided with clothes for the whole stay. Remmy had brought a few of her own for her return trip and to wear in down time.

    She slept most of the way there in the back of a cushy town car. She awoke when the car had hit a bump. Remmy had never been to the capitol and had no idea what to expect. She peered out the window to find they had pulled up in front of a massive castle. She stepped out of the car and her jaw dropped. The castle towered over her, piercing out the sky. She followed the elders inside and closed her mouth as the attendees looked down upon her.

    Remmy pulled herself back to reality and began to memorize the path they had taken to her room. A man had been talking the whole time about the amenities the castle had to offer and how she could enjoy any of them. They stopped and the man pulled open a door and ushered her in.

    "This is your room. If you need anything, ring for it. No matter how small the request."

    Remmy politely nodded and the man left, closing the door behind him. Remmy dropped her bag by the closet and collapsed on the bed. She lay staring at the ceiling for a moment, then began to take in her surroundings.     

    The room was spacious, with large windows across one wall. There was a glass door leading out to a balcony. Remmy got up and looked out the windows. The balcony looked over a pool with blue water that called her name. She looked over to the wall opposite her bed and found a large bathroom. It was bigger than her room at Mack's. Everything in the suite had an eloquence to it. If you had not seen the outside of the building, you would have no idea you were in a castle.

    Remmy decided to roam the castle until lunch time. She swiped the key card off the table by the door and headed further down the hall. Most of the doors were closed and she passed around a few corners before getting to a door that was open.

    She slowed her pace and peeked around the corner of the door frame, nearly gasped at the sight. A room that size had no purpose existing. She walked into the room and a familiar scent filled her nose. She closed her eyes and inhaled deeply. Remmy had always loved the smell of old books. The library was two stories high with tall windows that nearly went from floor to ceiling. On each side of the room there were large oak stair cases that lead with all grandeur up to the second level.

    Remmy walked over to the first row of books and began to read the bindings, touching each one as she went. A good book would help the time pass and let her mind escape from the constant anxiety she was feeling. She hadn't made a row when some one walked up behind her and stopped a little too close to her. She startled when he spoke.

    "Is there anything in particular you are looking for?"

    Remmy let her hand fall from her chest and eyed the man. He was in his early thirties with a soft but stern voice. His face looked worn and hardened for his age. His eyes did not betray him of any emotion. He was dressed in a casual business attire that suited his frame. She took a step back from him.

      "Uh no not really, just looking for something to pass the time on my stay here."

    The man nodded to her and spoke, "Might I suggest a few books to you? Tell me what you are in the mood for."

    Remmy wasn't sure if she sensed a double meaning in his last sentence, but let it go. "Nothing too exciting, and I only have a day so nothing too long." Remmy turned back to the books and looked over the room. She pulled her attention to the man when he spoke.

    "Perhaps Emily Bronte? Or Jane Austin? I do love Thomas Hardy." He smiled and let the wickedness show through for a moment.

    Remmy didn't know whether to be appalled by his choices or by his smile. Something had been behind his words a moment ago. Her face must have not masked her thoughts because his smile faded.

    "No romance novels thank you."

    His smile was back but all sexual innuendos were gone. He looked her over for a moment before speaking. "I have just the thing for you." He walked away without waiting for her, and she reluctantly followed. He pulled a book off the shelf a few rows over and handed it to her.

    Remmy looked down at the book and read the title. "The Catcher In The Rye". She hadn't read this one yet and it was on her list of ones she wanted to read.

    "I think this one will suit you well." He walked away from her and spoke to himself, almost singing, "O, Jenny's a sweet poor body, Jenny's seldom dry. She's dragging her petticoat coming through the rye."

    Remmy looked down at the book and back at the air where the man had just been. She could hear him whistling the tune in the distance.

    Remmy decided she had enough time outside of her room and headed back, hoping not to run into that man again.

The song Dmetri was singing is from the book Catcher in the rye.

And if you've ever read Tess of the durbevilles, you would know why he suggested Thomas Hardy to Remmy.