10

Aurora heard Lilly walk to Remmy's usual table and watched from afar. She was too quiet for Lilly to notice but was still putting away books and dusting just in case she was caught. Aurora felt the vibration of the old wooden door open in her bones and knew it was Remmy that was walking in. Her face stayed blank but her mind was on edge hoping this new girl would become Remmy's new friend. Remmy hadn't been close to anyone her age since she came to this school. It worried Aurora sometimes.

Remmy was different from other kids even at a young age. Her peers easily noticed and had managed to single her out. Remmy never got bullied, but she never had a real friend either. It had been slowly breaking Aurora's heart over the years.

So much had changed for Remmy in the last few days, she wanted someone to talk to. It was all so new and all at once, she needed someone with an outside perspective to stew it over with. Since some of it had to do with Mack she obviously couldn't talk to him and headed over to the library. Once her mind was at ease maybe then she could focus on her studies.

Remmy had spent most of her classes this morning thinking about Aldric and the time she would be spending away from work and school. That was all Remmy had ever really known. She was either at school or at work. She rarely had any free time to spend to herself. She walked into the Library at her usual pace, thinking about how to approach the subject with Aurora. She turned the corner around a book shelf and saw Lilly sitting at her table.

Remmy wasn't quite sure what to make of this. Lilly liked to talk too much and that could be a little annoying, but Remmy had never had a friend that wanted to hang out with her, just to hang out.

"Hey Remmy! I wanted to thank you for letting me use your notes the other day. It really saved me."

Remmy could hear the genuinity in her words.

"Sure Lilly. I really didn't mind."

As Remmy was getting settled in and started to crack a book open, Lilly broke what little concentration Remmy had left.

"So what is going on between you and Aldric?"

Just hearing his name did weird things to her skin. Remmy tried to hide the excitement that crept into her.

"Nothing really. He just owes me a favor or two and I have decided to cash it in."

Lilly produced a small giggle. "What kind of favor?"

Remmy was already annoyed with the prodding of this topic.

"I asked him to train me for hand to hand combat. The school doesn't offer it and I feel like it would be beneficial in the future."

Lilly was thoughtful and her face turned questioningly. "When are you going to have time for that? You go to school and you work all the time. I work only a few shifts a week and barely have time to do anything extra."

Remmy sighed. Instead of telling Aurora what she wanted to talk about she was confiding in Lilly. No one really cared about her business so there was no one to run off and tell her secrets to.

"I moved out of the co-ed dorm and moved in with my boss Mack. And before you get the wrong impression, he cares about me like a daughter and we have a deal. I clean the common areas and he lets me stay."

"So it's kinda like living with a parent and you have chores?"

Remmy smiled whole heartedly.

"Yeah it's exactly like that. Since I am staying with Mack I dont have rent to pay at the dorm. That means I won't have to work all the time and can take a few days off."

"That's really awesome Remmy. You work too hard."

Aurora smiled to herself. Remmy deserved this more than she knew. Aurora and Mack weren't good friends but they had a common interest with Remmy and had grown close over the last year. Mack had mentioned something like this a month ago but didn't seem too enthusiastic about it. Something must have changed his mind.

Maybe the fainting spell Remmy had? It was only a matter of time before Remmy would push herself over the edge of exhaustion. Looking at her now though you couldn't tell. Remmy was getting her life together. She had a new home with someone caring to look out for her and now what seemed like a new friend.

Of course leave it to Remmy to get some time to herself and fill it up with some kind of extracurricular activity. Learning hand to hand combat would at least put Aurora's mind at ease. Remmy has been protecting herself all these years and after what happened the other day with the bruises she needed this.

Aurora watched Remmy and Lilly for a little longer. They talked a little and had started studying, no doubt from Remmy's direction. It wasn't too long before Remmy announced she was leaving.

"Hey I have to head out a little early today. I need to give notice of my moving to the co-ed dorm. I have to get it done today so I won't be charged more."

Lilly started to gather her things along with Remmy.

"Um congratulations on moving Remmy."

Remmy turned around. "Thanks Lilly. You don't know how much this means to me."

99999999999999999

Remmy put in her notice to the office and got some of her money back for this months rent. It was more than two weeks worth of pay. She was tempted to take a week off from work, but the thought went as quickly as it came. She shoved the check into her pocket and headed to work.

She walked into Mack's office to get today's assignments with happiness pouring out of her being. It was contagious and Mack had started to feel the effects.

"Hey girl, what's gotcha all smiles about?"

"Nothing really, just came into some money I can use for a vacation maybe."

Now this had Mack really smiling.

"You? Uh vacation? That might give me uh heart attack. Remmy ya don't know what thuh word relax means. I gave ya thuh option ta have time off an' you're still showing up ta work like you're full time."

Mack paused for a bit and started thinking about what he would do if he was her father.

"How boutcha go home an' finish unpacking. Take thuh night off?"

"I don't have that much to unpack. I haven't exactly accumulated much over the years."

"Remmy, girl I am giving ya time off, now take it. Be happy ya don't have ta work, that ya have uh choice, at least uh little bit of one."

Remmy heard the caring sound deep in his burly voice and knew he was right. One day she wouldn't have a choice. She would have to work and it would probably be for some jerk boss with crappy pay. Her pay here wasn't too great but having Mack as her boss more than made up for it.

"Okay, but let's go ahead and set up my new schedule while I'm here."

Mack smiled from his small victory.

"I already have that done. You can have Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays off. I could have given ya three days off in a row, but I don't think I could survive withoutcha at work for more than uh day. An' ya will still be on call on thuh weekends."

Remmy smiled and it was one of those rare smiles that reached her eyes and her true beauty came to light.

"Thanks Mack. I'll see you at home."