9

My chapter eight I had originally wrote was way too long so I split them. You'll find a lot of chapters like that.

Remmy stood in her room and looked at her things. Her room had been home for years and she had grown attached. It didn't look much better than Aldric's place. The walls were mostly bare but for a book shelf and books. She didn't have any knick knacks or posters. She mostly just slept here and sometimes studied here.

Mack was right, I do take on a lot.

With a sigh, she began to pack up her life. She had snatched some boxes from work and thought maybe she had grabbed too many. It didn't take very long to fit all of her belongings into five measly boxes, most of which were clothes. Remmy was almost done taping the last box when there was a knock at the door.

Quin was right too, Remmy didn't have friends. For someone to be at her door was rare. She opened it expecting it to be someone from the school or someone from the dorm needing something fixed. When Remmy saw who was on the other side, she was shocked. Quin stood there looking gorgeous as ever with her hand on her hip.

"Well, are you going to let me in?"

Remmy gained her composure and stepped aside for Quin.

"Why are you here Quin?"

The question came out flat. Quin sat on Remmy's bare bed elegantly and turned to Remmy.

"Look, I knew you would need help moving and I borrowed my parents car."

"You mean your parents weren't home and you wanted an excuse if you got caught on your joy ride."

"Tomato, tamahto. You need help and I am here. It works for both of us." She gave a light shrug, pleased with her reasoning.

Remmy knew Quin was right, this did work for her. She would have been bringing over boxes all afternoon if she had to walk.

"Right. Well, grab a box and lead the way." Remmy said defeated.

All of her life possessions fit in the trunk of Quin's parents' car. Remmy sat in the passenger seat and turned to Quin.

"How well can you drive anyway?"

Quin smiled wolfishly "I got here didn't I?" Then pealed out of the parking lot.

Not too many people had cars in their realm. Most everyone walked to where they needed to go or rode a bicycle. The last time Remmy had rode in a car, was when her parents had taken her to the grocery store in the human world. There, everyone drove a car, even if your destination was just down the street. She had been young and naive then.

While her parents were in the freezer section she had told them she was leaving for good. She had a backpack with some clothes and a favorite stuffed rabbit. Her parents looked at her after the words had came out of her mouth and turned back to their conversation. There was no doubt they had heard Remmy, they just didn't believe her or didn't care.

Remmy had left a note on her bed in case they decided they wanted to know where she went. In case she was mistaken and they did care about her. They had spent all of her life just taking care of her basic needs: food, clothes, shelter, and school. They never hurt Remmy, they were just unavailable to her.

Remmy sighed and she looked out the window as they sped along. Quin had the radio on and was listening to some pop music. The drive didn't last very long at all and they pulled into a rock driveway engulfed by trees. The house was invisible to the main road but once the trees opened up Remmy took in her new homestead. The house was well maintained and had wood siding and a new tin roof. The front yard was cut and the bushes in front had been neatly hedged.

Quin pulled to a stop just behind Mack's old pick up truck and got out. Remmy was taking in her surroundings and it was slowing her down. By the time Remmy had made it to the trunk, Quin was pulling out the last box and set it on the side of the driveway.

"Well this is where I leave you"

Remmy was pulled out of her thoughts.

"What? You're not going to stay and help me unpack??"

Quin looked at Remmy like she was being ridiculous. "No Rem. I would prefer Mack didn't know I drove you out here illegally and also for him not to think you and I are best friends." With that she got into the car and backed out of the drive.

Remmy stood for a moment longer, edging on the brink of change and decided to get her new life started. There was no turning back now. Remmy grabbed a box and pulled the key from her pocket. She tried the door knob and sure enough it was locked. She looked at the key in her hand. She rubbed the rabbits foot between her thumb and index finger.

"Luck be with me now."

She unlocked the door and walked into the side of the kitchen. It was a mess. Dishes in the sink and dirty pots on the stove. The kitchen was open to the living room which was spacious. It was the epitome of a man cave. Big over stuffed leather furniture sat in front of a large flat screen tv. The living room had glasses left out and plates with paper towels scrunched up on top of them. There was a few on the floor next to what looked like Mack's favorite chair and the color of the coffee table had yet to be determined through what looked like a few weeks worth of meals.

Remmy sighed. "Home sweet home" she mumbled. If Mack was here, he must be in his room. She headed to the door on the left and opened it slowly praying for it to be somewhat cleaner than the rest of what she had seen.

The spare bedroom looked like a time capsule. It was indeed organized, but had a thick layer of dust on most everything. Remmy set the box down on the bed and dust bunnies flew up to tickle her nose. She opened the small window at the head of the bed and the warm breeze calm her. The room was stuffy, but was a little larger than the one she had at the dorms.

There was a full sized bed in the middle, an older desk and chair to one side with a book shelf above it. A closet was located on the other side with sliding mirrored doors. Next to the desk was a door which Remmy explored, leading to a bathroom. Her own bathroom. It was going to be nice to not have to share with anyone.

She was done exploring for now. She went and moved the rest of the boxes into the house and locked the door behind her. Remmy made quick work of dusting and changing the bed sheets and comforter. She unpacked a few of her things, just enough to get through tonight and morning and fell fast asleep thinking about all the new changes in her life.