40

Remmy had made it through most of the dinner.  The elders from her school sat around her making polite conversation. 

Remmy was allowed a glass of wine for the occasion.  She had drank it quickly and sneakingly gotten a refill.  Her nerves and unease had chased away her hunger.  Towards the end of the meal, she was starting to feel her muscles relax.  She took in her surroundings now that her mind wasn't so hung up on one thought.

She sat at a large round table at the front of the vast room.  Each school had it's own round table.  Remmy giggled under her breath.  She was sitting like King Arthur, and the elders were her knights.  They were following her lead, rooting for their allelomorph to win.  She looked up to the council.  They sat at a long table with food laid out in a feast in front of them.  The last supper came into her mind.  Just then Sean stood in the middle and she giggled to herself.  Right now he was god.  He would say the words that would determine the rest of her life. 

Sean caught her voice and looked towards her.  He smiled and gave her a wink.  Remmy politely smiled back and eagerly broke their shared gaze.  Her face fell, her heart dropping into her stomach.  She wanted to throw up and swallowed hard to keep it down.  She looked back over to Sean and saw him sitting back down.  Dmetri stood and cleared his throat.

"Good evening.  I would like to thank you all for joining us in this exciting and historical moment.  Normally, Sean would be the one to speak, but has graced me with the privilege.  The council would like to thank each contestant for their valued effort.  We look forward to working with each of you in the future.  One of you, will begin your journey tomorrow at the crowning.  I know some of you are anxious to hear the decision so without further delay."  Dmetri held out his hand and Sean handed him a folded card.  Dmetri opened the card and read the name to himself and raised an eyebrow at Sean who seemed not to notice the questioning expression.  "I would like to introduce you all to your new Ruler, Yorick Klain."

The room exploded with noise.  Clapping and cheers roared in Remmy's ears.  She looked to Dmetri who was smiling and shaking hands of congratulations.  The rest of the council had started greeting people around the room.  Sean was standing at the table and had picked up the card looked at it again.  He placed the card in his suit pocket and caught her gaze. Remmy quickly looked away, hoping she wasn't caught, but found him a moment later sitting in the chair next to her. 

"I voted for you.  I thought for sure you would be chosen."  Sean seemed apologetic, but still had that wit about him.  "Your answer and attitude during your stay is nothing but phenomenal."

Remmy smiled at him.  In her heart, she knew that she could have won this, and felt disappointed in herself.  "It will all work out in the end.  Some things are just meant to be."

Sean smiled deeply at her.  "You will lead us one day.  I can feel it in my bones.  You treated your opponents as your council and made a decision based on their opinions.  Even when brought with solutions, you still guessed at the problem.  I sincerely look forward to working with you on the council."

Sean got up to leave and Remmy stopped him for a moment.  "Thank you.  I look forward to the day I can make a difference in our realm.  And just to let you know, so far, you're my favorite on the council."  Remmy tried to wink at him, but with her relaxed being, struggled to make it look as smooth as Sean always had.  Sean laughed at her and placed his hand on her shoulder before leaving.

With all the commotion, Remmy managed to get another glass of wine and was well on her way to celebrating.  She was half way through her glass when Dmetri took center stage again.

"To further celebrate this evening, a dance will be held shortly.  If you all could, please join us in the ballroom where the band and bar has already set up and are waiting to entertain you."

Remmy lingered in her seat a moment longer.  She wanted a majority of people to not see her fall on her face. 

She felt fine sitting but had a feeling that if she got up, she would have a change of heart.  Most everyone had their back to her, so she grabbed her clutch but it slipped off the table and fell to the floor.  She scooted her chair out and bent to pick it up.  Her phone fell out of her clutch and she snatched it up and put it back into place.  She noticed a card on the floor and picked it up as well.

Her mind stubbled over itself trying to work against the sludge of the alcohol.  It was the card Sean had put in his pocket.  The one that had the future Ruler's name in it.  It had her name in it.  Remmy Aldon. 

Remmy couldn't understand.  They had announced Yorick's name, but her name was on the card.  She looked at the card again, making sure the wine hadn't gone to her head.  In thick black scroll her name stood out against the white card stock. 

She placed the card in her clutch.  If she didn't leave for the ballroom soon, people would think she was a sore loser.  They had no idea.  She had lost and won in the same sentence, even if Yorick had managed to cheat somehow.