37

Someone whistled.  It was sharp and loud.  Remmy heard it again and rolled over and into the glaring sun beating light on her face.  Then she heard a young man with a voice like velvet yell down to her.

"Damn girl!!" 

Remmy woke and found she had fallen asleep outside by the pool.  She pulled her phone to check the time.  She was going to be late to the tournament.  She got up quickly and found one of her strings had snagged on the chair.  She caught the triangles and pulled them back into place, anger growing from being late.  She had more important things to do and had ignored the debauchery, but now she had caught her top and possibly flashed a pervert.  She looked to the balconies to check and see if that guy was still there, and he was, watching her every move.  Their eyes met and he blew her a kiss and winked.  Remmy's face grew red and she covered herself with a towel. 

She would have to hustle to make it to the tournament.  The only way she could make it now was by skipping a shower and just changing clothes.  She raced to the elevator still awaiting her.  She used the key card and rocked her knee back and forth as the elevator rose to her room.  She heard a ding and the door opened.  She set loose straight to her bag and flung her clothes out till she found what she was looking for. 

No sooner had she pulled her shirt down there was a knock at her door.  She shoved her shoes on without socks and fixed her hair on the way to answer.  She opened the door to see a man in full butler mode, tux and all. 

"Good morning miss, I am here to escort you to the proceedings." 

Remmy nodded and walked out pass him.  Not one to be overtaken by his job, he quickly pulled to the lead.  He paused at the next door down and knocked again.  They waited and no one answered.  Before Mr. Butler could rap on the door again, Remmy stepped up and pounded.

"Wake up call" 

She heard a "Shit" and looked at her escort.  His face tried to remain impassive but she could tell the corners of his lips were fighting to stay in position.

"Let's check the next room while we wait on Mr. Anthony."  Remmy gave a single nod and let the man lead the way to the next door.  He rapped on the door lightly and a man a few years older than Remmy answered. 

"Good morning Mr. Yorick, I'm here to escort you to the proceedings." 

Remmy looked at him and felt her face flush again.  It was the man from the balcony who had cat called at her.  Yorick nodded to the butler and then gave a devilish grin to Remmy. 

"And what fine company you keep" he said to the butler but the whole time looking at Remmy, giving her a wink at the end.  Before she could break her gaze, the door a room down burst open and out stepped an young man about Remmy's age.  He was stout and his suit seemed to barely contain his rippling muscle. 

"Ah Mr. Anthony, please join us to the proceedings." 

The butler only stalled a moment and began walking at a leisurely pace.  Yorick was not so far behind him.  Remmy waited a little for Anthony, only because she didn't care to be so close to Yorick.

"A little underdressed aren't you?"  His voice was deep and filled with testosterone.  Remmy glanced back at him, then to Yorick who was also wearing a suit.  Remmy almost cursed herself, but then remembered what she was here to do. 

"I guess it is my turn to yell out a profanity then." 

She smiled at Anthony and shoved her hands in her pockets of her jeans.  Anthony chuckled with good nature and they walked only a few steps behind Yorick and the butler. 

"Anthony."  He held his hand out to her and she took it. 

"Remmy."  They shook hands awkwardly as they walked.

Yorick slowed his pace to fit in between them.  The hall was wide but feeling him this close made Remmy's anxiety gurgle up.  She stopped and pretended to tie her shoe.  As she bent down Yorick peered over his shoulder at her and raised an eyebrow.  She had just been caught and now Yorick had Anthony stopped as they waited on her. 

Sensing she didn't want to walk next to him, Yorick proposed ladies first and ushered her ahead.  Thankfully Remmy didn't have to feel eyes on her back and butt for long as they came to a set of large double doors.  The buttler opened one and held it for them.  Remmy gave him a quiet thank you and walked into the massive room.

At the front were the council members, four in total.  The middle chair was empty.  Remmy came closer and felt all eyes were on her from the front and behind.  She found three chairs set along a wide table and took hers all the way to the right.  Yorick quickened his pace to sit next to her, and Anthony sat in the last.

The butler walked pass their table and up to the platform where the council sat.  He pulled a cloak off the back of the chair and adorned himself with it before sitting.  Remmy hadn't seen that one coming.  She looked over the faces of the other council and saw the two she recognized from yesterday on her side of the room.  Kerri smiled at her briefly and Dmetri licked his lips, only this time, he was looking at Yorick.  Remmy couldn't help but inwardly smile as Yorick tried not to squirm.

The butler now council member stood from his seat and looked over each of them.  Remmy stood with him, and the other two boys scrambled to their feet.  She might be here to fail today, but she was not here to insult.  The council lead smiled at her and nodded.  Remmy bowed slightly and sat, the other two following her lead.  There was a long moment of silence before a word was spoken.

"Each one of you are here today to prove yourself.  Though only one of you will be elected Ruler, you will all be in positions of power, of example."  He stared straight at Remmy with those words.  "Today, you will be asked to solve a riddle, or a problem of sorts.  You will each write down your answers and they will be read aloud by Sean."  He gestured to himself and gave a bow.  "We will then ask for clarification if needed.  You will all be released to do as you see fit until dinner.  You are expected to wear the appropriate attire as this dinner will be a celebration of our new Ruler."  Sean the butler once again looked at Remmy.  "You will have as much time as you need and may begin at any time."  Sean snapped his fingers and a sheet of paper and pen appeared.