Chapter 10: Sakura's Suspicions

Start from the beginning

"Tch," he clicked his tongue in annoyance. Somehow, Shikamaru sensed this coming. "Alright, alright. Just let me finish this."

"I'll help you," replied Temari, grinning. "You know, if I can get you this easily, I could win easily too."

"...Get me easily..?"

She scoffed. "What are you thinking? I'm talking about our rematch regarding what happened when I was just a genin in that Chuunin Exams. Don't get me wrong."

"Yeah, yeah," he replied, not really wanting an argument to be happening in times like this. Shikamaru continued picking the papers, Temari doing the same thing.

It was silent between the two of them; the smile Temari made minutes ago was still there, while Shikamaru was having his usual 'bored' facial expression. Both of them had good speed of picking papers up, until only one piece of it was left. Temari went towards it, so as Shikamaru. Since both of their heads were downcast, focused on the floor, they didn't know they were about to get the same thing.

'Alright, last piece,' mumbled Shikamaru in his mind.

As soon as he reached for it, Temari's hand suddenly topped his. He was aware it was an accident, but he couldn't stop those red tints go across his face. Being a man, he grabbed the paper and placed over one of the piles resting on the top of the Hokage's table while hiding the fact that he somehow liked that feeling. It looked pretty awkward to him since Temari didn't give a change of expression at all. She just glanced at him and blinked in question, for he was acting a bit strange right after that incident.

---

"Temari, whoever's the person you're gonna end up with, he better take care of you. Or I'll send my ghost to hunt him down and kill him in fear," those words were from Shikamaru when he was having a bad 'dream'.

The said female was currently doing rounds in Suna, hoping that they wouldn't have any intruder at all. She couldn't help but get smile at that thought; she placed both of her hands on her cheeks and smiled like an idiot. Her eyes were closed like they were feeling too much love, her face were having pink tints. It has been years since the last time she felt that way towards a certain someone.

And only remembering that certain someone's action towards her made her act like that.

In question, the jonins of Suna looked at her. She seemed acting pretty weird, but they just let her be and just decided to watch her from a distance.

Temari also remembered about that one incident Shikamaru fed her with a piece of shrimp. It was true she didn't show any giddy feeling towards it, but she loved the way the male actually do such thing. While reminiscing things, she continued drawing her path to nowhere. Even the 'Closer You and I' incident back in Konoha flashed itself back in the female's mind. Remembering how Shikamaru acted when he sang that song made Temari feel special.

She was aware of his feelings, so as hers. She just wanted him to blurt it out, then she'll do the same. Temari wanted him to fight his fears, she wanted him to be a man like he claims him to be.

Noticing the unfading smile on her lips, a pink-haired shinobi of Konoha approached the oldest of the Sand Siblings. "Ah, Temari-san," called Sakura, a smile was on her lips as her greeting for the other.

However, Temari just turned to her.

"I'm sorry to bother you," she started. "I just got a question running in mind for, I think..an hour now."

The older lass nodded. She gave the other a facial expression like she's interested to speak to her. "As long as I can help my allies," stated Temari.

Well... This isn't really about me...

"Have you once experienced something like...," paused Sakura. "Um, do you make an excuse just to see the person you like?" The girl noticed Temari was blinking in confusion. So for the other to understand better, she revised her question. "Especially, if he's from another village or some sort?"

"What kind of excuse?" She asked, voice was stern.

"Something like delivering a scroll for a message when you can just use the messenger birds around, but you will still insist to deliver it yourself. Then, tell the Kage that you also wanted to see how well the village is? Or, make the paperwork as an excuse to meet the least romantic guy in town? Something like that."

No emotion could be seen on Temari's facial expression aside that she began denying things. "I don't do that!"

I didn't tell her straight that I was talking about her, though. Gee, Temari is really obvious. She chuckled secretly. Sakura looked at the other, amused. "I think I heard from Matsuri and Yukata about you liking an intelligent guy."

"Why are you in Suna?" She asked instead of answering Sakura's statement.

"Ah, well," caught off-guard, Sakura was. This is bad. I shouldn't answer her question or we'll definitely go off topic! I won't be able to..! "The Hokage asked me to get the needed documents from the Kazekage's office. I think Shikamaru's also there." Ah! Shannaro! Why did I reply her question?! Now I wouldn't be able to let her speak out!

"I see. Aren't you supposed to be doing your tasks now? The sun will set soon," offered Temari. "Sandstorms at night in our village aren't really that friendly."

"I see. Okay, Temari. I'll see you soon!" Replied the other, then went off.

In the end, even Sakura wasn't able to squeeze information about the two's relationship. As Rock Lee claimed, Temari really avoids questions about Shikamaru, be it about work or the relationship behind their rather affectionate actions towards each other. Also, Naruto shared about what he sees and feels whenever they are together: something is definitely up.