Chapter 14: Start of Something Good (Liam's POV)

-Liam’s POV-

                “You might love me?” Niall repeated. I was frozen, he had heard that? Shit, shit, shit.

                You fucking idiot, say something back! A voice screeched in my head. It’s Cleo- Cleodora, by the way.

                The hell are you doing in my head…? I thought back, but she didn’t reply. Maybe she couldn’t hear me? I remembered Niall saying something about having to project thoughts.

                “Right… I’m just… Gonna go…” Zayn said, backing away awkwardly. He patted me on the back, and then ran off.

                “Liam?” Niall asked again, “I-I…” He looked small, almost like he was trying to go into himself.

                “You heard that?” I asked, running a hand through my hair. I need to get it cut, maybe a buzcut? What the hell am I thinking? Niall just caught me admitting I love him- when he doesn’t love me back- and I’m thinking about getting my hair cut?! Damn, I need to get my thoughts straight. Or curved, since I’m gay…?

                He nodded. “U-Uh… Yeah.”

                “Shit.” I said, not realising I said it aloud. “I mean… Crap… I’ll just shut up now.”

                Niall smiled and laughed softly. “So… When you kissed me…”

                I let out a sigh and closed my eyes. Why couldn’t he just leave? He’s already made it obvious that he doesn’t like me. Why must he keep rubbing it in my face? “Yes. I kissed you because I seriously like you and there’s a chance I might love you. Now, if you’re done rubbing it in my face that’ll never have you because you don’t like guys, can I go to lunch?” I snapped.

                Niall sighed as well. “You’re right, I don’t like guys.”

                My heart broke all over again. Before he said that, there was a part of me that was hoping he would deny it, saying that he froze up, or hadn’t realised that he liked me back. I guess I was wrong. “Right…” I muttered, trying to push past him.

                He grabbed my arm, stopping me. I could feel the heat of his hand through my top, and I froze. Why couldn’t he just leave me to my misery, damn it! “I don’t like guys, but I do like you Liam.”

                I felt my heart begin to put itself back together, and quickly. But the more rational side of me stayed broken. “You’re… You’re not just kidding with me… Are you?” I looked into his blue eyes.

                He shook his head slowly. “No. I’m not that mean.”

                “You’re not mean at all… More like a baby penguin, actually.” I said without being able to help it. It was true, though. He was like a little baby penguin, so cute and cuddly and innocent.

                “Oi, shut the fuck up.” And then he opens his mouth. Niall was grinning, so I knew he was kidding.

                I shook my head slowly. “Not so much of a baby penguin with your words, that’s for sure.”

                He smiled, before looking down at his feet. “So… Um…”

                Now as the little shit out! The same voice repeated, seriously excited. I nodded to myself, getting an odd look from Niall. “Niall, do you want-“