Chapter 13: He Loves Me (Niall's POV)

-Niall’s POV-

Liam’s lips were soft, they moved slowly but surely against mine own as I stood there frozen. I couldn’t move. No matter how hard I wished for my body to move, for my lips to respond, they couldn’t. I was literally frozen.

He slowly pulled away, and I could see the tears behind his eyes. I wanted so badly to reach out and grab his arm, call out, anything. I couldn’t make any sound or movements, nothing.  He left, leaving me to collapse onto the floor, curling up.

I could feel my heart breaking, and I finally choked out a sound.

L-Liam…” I cried.

--------------

                The entire weekend, the only person I saw was Cleo. She was amazing. Since she couldn’t turn into a human, we spent the entire time in the water part of my room. She knew all about what happened, and as much as she wanted me to swim up to the surface, find him, and kiss him senseless, she knew I wouldn’t.

                Why won’t you? She asked me Sunday night, as we were lying on the floor in my room. She had already finished her fish, well I was still picking at mine. Usually, I’d be all over food, but I hadn’t been up to eating anything this weekend.

                I just can’t, Cleo. I said, sighing as well as you can in water. He probably already realised what a mistake he made, and is off trying to forget about it.

                She rolled her eyes. One thing I noticed about them was that they never stayed one colour. They were always changing. Usually to blue or green, but sometimes to a hazel-y colour. They were beautiful. You’re just scared to admit that you like a boy, Niall. Her eyes softened slightly. You’re scared to love.

                I thought about it. Was I? I wasn’t homophobic, or thought that there was anything wrong with liking the same gender, but for me? I thought it was just a phase in my teenager years. Was it truly?

                I ran a hand through my hair. Cleo… I’m just so confused! What if I like him now, but end up not liking him later? I don’t want to ruin our friendship!

                She snorted, or, at least, tried to. It was a little hard to underwater. I highly doubt that the two of you won’t end up together. You work perfectly together! Almost like Romeo and Juliet… She sighed dreamily, flicking her tail up and down slightly.

                You’re such a girl, Cleo. I laughed slightly. I had only met two people in the world who could make me smile when I felt like shit. Liam and Cleo.

                She shot me a look. What was your first guess? Her hands gestured to her upper body. I may like Liam a helluva lot, but I could still she had a nice figure. Swimming did that to you.

                You do have muscles. I pointed out. Every Merfolk did.

                She rolled her eyes, and hit me lightly on the shoulder. No changing the subject, mister. You are damning well going to tell Liam you like him back, understood?

                She gave me a look that said if I didn’t do this, I better not step foot in the water, because she’ll be ready, waiting to skin me alive. I gulped. C-Cleo… I… What if he doesn’t like me anymore? I asked lamely.

                She placed a soft had on my shoulder. He does. You just have to find a way to tell him.

                But how?! I said, throwing my hands up in a frustrating manner.