Chapter 2: Overthinking

Start from the beginning

"A-ha!" Said the same blonde male, opening the paper up high. "Temari Na-? I knew you liked her! I should let her see-"

Shikamaru was on his way to stop Naruto from doing whatever he was planning, until the paper flew outside the window of the room. Unlucky enough, Temari was below, walking and roaming around the village. "Shit..!" Said Shikamaru, unsure of what to do. 'Think of something, Shikamaru! Think!'

The man looked up at the sky. Good thing the clouds were too thick. It was enough to strengthen the length of his shadow towards the paper. "Kage Mane no Jutsu!" He executed, then immediately searched for the paper. When he saw it, he cast his shadow towards it which was about to reach the blonde female.

She was pretty unaware at the moment. It was a good thing...for Shikamaru.

"Are you gonna reach it, Shikamaru?!" Asked Naruto, getting fired up of what Shikamaru could actually do.

'I will reach it!'

"Almost there!" Said Naruto again.

His shadow successfully grabbed the paper. "Execution of my kage mane is a success," he said, wiping the sweats falling from his temple, down to his cheeks. As soon as he tried to look at the direction his shadow travelled, the paper was already in front of the female. "Shit!"

"Oooh," commented Naruto. "How would Temari react? How would she react?" He mumbled, excited.

"Temari Na..?" The female said what was written on the paper. "Written by: Shikamaru Nara," she said once again. In exact place, Temari was standing right in front of the Hokage's headquarters, so she looked up. Shikamaru immediately cancelled the casting of his jutsu and then sat on the floor of the room.

Both him and Naruto peeked from the edge of the window, checking what Temari would do next.

The female grabbed the paper and crumpled it.

"What the heck?!" Naruto and Shikamaru said in unison.

Since there wasn't pretty much written on it, she thought it wasn't really needed anymore. Temari threw it on the nearest garbage can she could spot.

"She didn't seem to care. Poor Shikamaru..," comically, Naruto told him in pity.

The male sighed. "Cut it out, Naruto. And get back to business."

It has been hours now since a troublesome event had occurred while Shikamaru was working. Konohamaru suddenly came in, rushing to pull his big brother with him. "Shikamaru-nii, Shikamaru-nii! Hurry and come after me! I'm gonna show you something!" The little one said rather excitedly.

"Whoa, wait," called Shikamaru. He wrote the very last name of the genin on the paper, then let Konohamaru drag him to wherever he wanted to. "Alright, alright, we'll go to wherever that is."

They went out from the quarters. Konohamaru led the latter in a Dango Shop, showing him that Temari was eating alone. "I think Temari-nee needs help eating those dangos!" He said with a large grin.

"She can handle it herself," cleared the lad.

Konohamaru broke off from holding his big brother's arm, and then approached his seemingly big sister. "Temari-nee!" He called, waving once. "Don't you think Shikamaru-niichan likes you?"

She chuckled. "That's pretty normal. You'll really like someone especially if she helps your village a lot," Temari petted the little one's head. "And if she visits this place often."

"Not that kind of like, Temari-nee," corrected the young one. "It's-"

Temari let out another chuckle then patted Konohamaru. "You kids really," she said, smiling at him. "Focus on something else. Adults can deal with their own problems; you and your friends should enjoy life while it isn't too late yet," she sighed. "If he really does, he should go over here and tell me about it right on my face. When it is about confessing feelings, it is better to hear it from the person who likes you than hearing it from someone else. He should know how to face his fears, that is, if that's his fear," cleared the Suna Princess. "Besides, I can't picture him falling in love. To me, of all people."

Too late?
Fears?
Confession?
Feelings?
In love?

Too late. Too late.

That part of what Temari told Konohamaru kept ringing in Shikamaru's head. One more echo of it and Shikamaru would probably go crazy. Probably. He lied on his bed, eyes on the ceiling, his right arm was over his forehead, left hand was over his stomach. What could she mean by 'it's too late'..?