Chapter 22

Kalani smiled at Sam, "Sidebar!" she said happily before pulling me a few feet away. "Yo! Your sister is your brother and he's fine as hell." she whispered loudly.

"Thanks, like I didn't know." I whispered back sarcastically, rolling my eyes.

"Don't get sassy with me, Miss!" she said, pretending to be offended. I rolled my eyes again and pulled her back to Sam.

"So, my sister, huh?" He asked with a small smile.

I nodded, "Yeah, I just found out a few days ago, man." I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair. Kalani nudged me and I looked over at her. She had a smile on her face and she gave me the 'Bitch, introduce me' look. "Oh, this is Kalani." I said nonchalantly.

Samuel smiled at her, "Beautiful name for a beautiful girl."

Kalani giggled and looked at her feet, "Thank you." she said quietly. I looked between the two and smirked, but I didn't say anything.

"Um, unfortunately, I didn't just come to introduce myself. I have some news." I said. He nodded, motioning for me to go on. "Well, our mother passed away. She wanted us to meet, I guess."

Sam furrowed his eyebrows and looked at his hands, "Sorry to hear that, were you close to her?" he asked me.

I shook my head, "Nah, not really. I barely ever saw her." He nodded in understanding and we stood in an awkward silence for a while.

"Hey, I'm about to close up, do you want to grab lunch or something?" he asked with another bright smile.

"Of course we do." Kalani replied quickly. "I mean, if we have time." she added, trying to seem cool. I rolled my eyes and laughed quietly.

"I'll give you time to check your schedule then. I'll be right back." He smiled again and sent her a wink and before disappearing behind a door.

"Hey, uh, y/n? Don't take this the wrong way, but I would fu-"

"I don't want you to complete that sentence." I said chuckling. She laughed and rolled her eyes.

"He's so fine." she said, grabbing onto my arm, just as Samuel came back.

"Oh, are yall dating?" He asked timidly.

Kalani quickly shook her head, "No! She's just my best friend." she said.

"Oh okay. So, you free for lunch?" he asked us.

"Yeah, we are." I replied.

"Cool, there's an Indian place that just opened up the street and I hear it's pretty good. You up for it?"

"Hell yeah!" Kalani and I exclaimed giving each other a high five. Sam chuckled and walked out the door.

"You can follow me if you want." he said, getting into his car. We got into ours and followed him to the restaurant.

Some time later, we were sitting in a booth, waiting for our food to arrive.

"So, how's life been for you?" He asked me, before taking a sip of his sprite. "I want to know everything."

"Well, I'm currently a senior in high school, because I'm dumb as hell and I failed. I have a girlfriend who makes me unbelievably happy, but we've got a kind of forbidden love thing going on." I paused to think. "Man, I don't really have anything else to say that's too interesting." I said shrugging.

"It's okay. I'll find out things about you with time." He smiled at me. "I guess it's my turn. I'm transgender, I completed my senior year, but I'm not going to college. I'm single as hell, but I'm happy. I wouldn't mind having a girlfriend, though." he thought for a bit. "That's kind of it for me, too." he shrugged.

"You know I'm sing-" Kalani started but was cut off.

"Here's your food. Enjoy!" the waiter said sitting our food on the table. We all thanked him and began to eat while we engaged in light conversation. When we finally finished eating, I knew a few more things about Sam. They were small things, but every little things is important to me.

"When your girlfriend gets in town, we should do this again. Maybe we can hit the mall or a movie or something all together." Sam suggested and I agreed. He walked us to our car and gave us both a hug before closing our doors for us. "You have my number, right?" he asked and I nodded. "Alright, don't be afraid to call me anytime." he watched us drive away before getting in his car and leaving.

--------
A/n: This is just a filler chapter so sorry it's kind of short. Love y'all and I hope you have a great day❤️