Chapter 20

It had been about six months and Camila and I were still going strong. We took all the opportunities we could to be with each other and were around each other so much, we might as well have been living together. There was rarely a night that I didn't have her in my arms or I didn't wake up to the smell of her cooking breakfast.

We had a good thing going and I was happier than I had ever been. I was doing well in school, with all A's in my classes and very little problems with the teachers. I would say that things were perfect and I should've known that it wouldn't last. It never does.

I was writing an essay in Camila's class when my phone rang interrupting my thoughts.

"Y/n, your phone shouldn't be on." Camila scolded.

"I forgot to silence it." I replied. "Sorry, Ms.Cabello." She smirked at me before going back to reading her book.

I turned my phone on silent and placed it back in my pocket, then went back to writing. My phone vibrated again in my pocket and I pulled it out and ignored the call. When it started ringing again, I figured it must be important. I looked up to see Camila was looking at me, "You can answer it." she said with a smile.

I reciprocated the gesture and answered the call, "Hello?"

"Is this Y/n Y/l/n?" a lady's voice asked.

"Yeah." I answered hesitantly.

"My name is Darcy Hendric and I'm your mother's attorney. As you may know, she's been very sick and-"

I cut her off, "What? No she wasn't." I said confused.

"She didn't tell you?" Darcy asked cautiously. "She had breast cancer. Y/n, she passed away this morning." she said softly.

I sat silent with my mouth hanging open. My vision blurred and my bottom lip quivered as I tried not to cry.

"Y/n?" Darcy said.

I cleared my throat, "Yes?" I answered.

"Would you be willing to meet with me soon? We have some business to discuss." she asked carefully.

"Sure. Uh, I gotta go. Bye." I said quickly hanging up and dropping my phone. Camila was looking at me carefully. I looked at her and tried to force a small smile, but failed as I bursted into tears. I sobbed uncontrollably and buried my head in my hands. Within second Camila had me wrapped in her tight embrace and was rocking me gently back and forth.

"Don't cry,babe." she cooed while stroking my hair. "What's wrong, love?" she asked when I quieted down.

"My mom." I choked out. "She-she's dead." I said looking at the ground. Camila held me tighter and was silent for a while.

"Y/n, I'm so sorry." she said quietly. I pulled away from her slightly and gave her a small smile.

"I'll be fine." I said pulling away further from her grip. I grabbed my backpack and moved towards the door. Camila grabbed my wrist and spun me back around.

"Please, don't shut me out. Please?" she pleaded. "I'm here for you, y/n. Please don't push me away. I have no idea what you're feeling right now and you might not either but I'm here for you. I'm here to help you sift through your emotions and I'm here to help you through this. Please, just, just don't push me away. Tell me how you feel." she begged, her eyes glistening as tears formed in them.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and spoke, "You want to know what I feel?" I asked calmly. She nodded and let go of my wrist. "I feel fucking betrayed. I'm pissed off! I'm enraged that my mother would leave me like this!" I yelled angrily. "I'm so fucking mad!" I yelled, as tears rolled down my face. "She was always so fucking selfish and she never cared about me, Camila, and that's why I'm pissed off. I'm pissed off because I still love her even after all that she's done and this is breaking my heart. I'm furious that I can't just forget about her. I hate her so much."