Chapter Forty-Four

Jackson's house is clean and organised nicely. His walls are a cream colour and he has photos of his family everywhere.

Jackson's 19, so of course he lives on his own. He lets me sleep on the couch for the night.

"You can stay as long as you like." He says and goes upstairs to sleep. I nod, pretending that I will stay for a while.

But I'll go somewhere else tomorrow, because sooner or later Mum and the boys will ask Jackson if he's seen me.

Along with that thought, I start getting text messages from Chandler. He's asking where I have been.

Sam says he's worried sick (no pun intended) and Mum demands for me to come home. But I don't.

The next morning while Jackson's on his morning run, I pack up my stuff into a bag and scribble a note and leave it on the kitchen bench.

He should get it.

I'm walking along the road now. The sun is dark and the clouds are grey. A storm is coming.

I have to find shelter soon, otherwise I'll be drenched in minutes. Suddenly, water pours down and I'm soaked.

Rain. Thunder claps ahead and lightning strikes. My brown hair stick to my head and I shiver.

Suddenly a car pulls up next to me and I groan. Chandler. He got his permit which means he can drive! He opens the door and I clamber in the back.

He turns on me looking worried and angry at the same time. "Why did you run away?" He demands. "For a day! I'm back now, though."

I take off my wet coat and peel down until I'm in my singlet. Chandler's anger dies down a little. "Okay. Just next time, take me with you." Chandler kisses me.

At first it's soft but then it's a hard, passionate kiss. I wrap my arms around him and press my body against his.

The kiss ends and we both stare at each other in awe. I settle for one thing. A smile.

QOTD: Dr Pepper's or Coke?

AOTD: Either