Angel of Death

Chapter twenty-nine: Angel of Death

     "Wait, Archie's where?" Betty questioned as they stood in front of Veronica. 

"At the Sheriff station doing a line up. He asked me to come and be here with Fred until he gets back." Veronica told them.

"Well, that's gonna be traumatizing for him. We should go down there." Betty said.

"Actually, can you guys do me a huge favor. Mr. Andrews' wallet is missing. We're thinking it might be at Pop's.  That or the guy who shot Fred might have it." Veronica asked.

"Well, if it's just some rando robbing Pop's, then he probably took the money and then got rid of the wallet." Betty proposed.

"Unless it wasn't just some rando. Unless it was premeditated in some way." Jughead said.

Veronica gave a look of suprise. "What? Is that an actual theory?"

"Not according to Sheiff Keller, but if you ask me, people have grudges. People have enemies. Fathers are killing their sons. It's entirely conceivable. This was a hit." Jughead explained.

"Or the wallet's just at Pop's, we'll check it out V."

With that, the trio went off to Pop's to check for the wallet.

Once outside, Jughead went to get his motorcycle.  "A motorcycle?" Betty stared at Jug. "Hope on." He looked between the two.

"Jughead Jones. Three of us are not gonna fit on that." Drea laughed, making Jughead smile at the noise.

"And there's only one helmet."

"Well, you guys are small, and if you're so worried, Betty, you could take my helmet. Or we could walk, or take a bus or call your mom."

"Oh no, we'll take the bus." Betty said.

After an enjoyably slow bus ride, the three arrived at Pop's. They entered to see glass and a pool of blood on the floor. They jumped as Pop's came out the back.

"Sorry, kids. We're closed today. There was -" Betty cut Pop's off.

"Pop's, we heard about what happened. We just got back from the hospital to look for Mr. Andrews wallet. It's missing."

"Is he..."

"He's out of surgery. Well, know more when he wakes up." Betty assured the older man.

"The police have already looked, but if you wanna double check, he was in that booth there." Pop's pointed towards the booth as he rolled out a bucket and a mop.

"So uh, what happened from your point of view." Jughead questioned as Betty and Drea stepped over the blood towards the booth.

"Ah, I wish I knew. As soon as that gun turned off me, I-I dove. I don't even remember calling the police, but I guess I did." Pops explained.

"Hey, how much money did the creep end up taking, Pop?"

"Not a penny."

This made Betty and Drea look at each other before looking at Jughead, who snapped his fingers.

"I knew it. What kind of thief shoots up a joint and then doesn't take a single dollar bill." Jughead said.

Pops looked at them. "He wasn't a thief. Over the years, this place has been robbed many times and breaks through the windows even during the riots. I've looked plenty of thugs in the eye. This man showed something else. Darker. It's like the angel of death had cone to Riverdale."

Jughead stared at him. "Jeez, Pop lighten up. You sound like the cranky old guy in Friday the 13th movies. Abandon all hope he who enter here."

Betty and Drea made their ways back over to the two.

"The wallets not here."

"Hey, you kids hunger?" Pops asked.

"Oh no, that's Ok."

"Oh no, Pop."

"I'm always hungry. Yeah."

The three said at the same time. Drea and Betty glanced at Jug.

A few minutes later, they were met with burgers and fries and a beverage of their choosing. Jug and Drea had black coffee while Betty had a vanilla milkshake.

Jughead scarfed down his while Betty stared at him. He looks at her with a full mouth. "In times of crisis, some people lose their appetite, but me mine increases tenfold."

Betty only looked away, but Drea snorted before covering her mouth. Jughead gave her a smile before looking back at Betty.

"I haven't eaten since last night." He told her with a glance to Drea. A blush crossed her cheeks.

"Speaking of the day before. Your foster family is from the south side. If they have ties to the Serpents, they could try to -" 

"What indoctrination me?"

"And now you're riding a motorcycle which you've never done before."

"Betty, I'm not a Serpent. Don't worry, I've actually made a decision about that. They'll cover for me with my social worker, but I'm not even gonna be staying with them. I'm gonna be at the trailer, my dad's trailer." Jughead told her.

"What, why? Drea, did you know about this."

Drea shook her head no and stared at Jug, waiting for an explanation. "Betty, Drea."

He let out a sigh. "Archie almost lost his dad. He may still. Facing facts, my dad is going away for a long ass time. Riding his bike, living in the trailer. It does mean something.  I was kind of hoping that it means I would always be close to him no matter what."

Betty looked at Drea before looking back at Jug. "I don't wanna see you get hurt or hurt someone else. Not because you did it on purpose or because that's the Serpents world. That's how they live, isn't it."

Drea thought about what her mom said about the Serpents. The way she talked about them like they were family. They had each other's back and would do anything for their family. That's how they worked, even if it meant hurting someone.

Isabel never wanted to bring Drea into all of that, but she knew she could handle it because she was her daughter after all. Andrea was a smart girl. Isabel didn't doubt that one bit, and she was strong. She took after her mother.

Drea stared at Betty. She knew Jug and Betty were now only friends, but their was love behind those eyes and not just the platonic kind. She didn't expect them to be completely over each other, but seeing the way Betty looked when she interacted with Jughead, it made her feel guilty, and she didn't know why.

When they went back to the hospital, they went back with a ton of food. "Who's hungry. We've got burgers and fries and onion rings." Jughead announced as they entered.

"Nice, Jug." Someone said as everyone cheered.

"Excuse me!" A nurse said over all the commotion they had caused.