Secrets Come Out

Chapter nineteen: Secrets Come Out

     Drea was walking up to her friends when Cheryl stopped her. "Hey, Dre Dre. Are you coming to the homecoming dance?" Cheryl asked the girl. 

"Yeah, that's not really my scene." Drea told the red-haired girl. "Oh, but it will be. I'm cashing in that IOU."

Right, Drea owed Cheryl for getting her to speak with Rose. Drea sighed. "What do you want?"

"For you to vote for me and Polly for homecoming queens." Drea didn't question it.

"And for you to come to the dance. Send me your address, and I'll come over to help you prepare. Don't worry, I'll bring the perfect dress. I hope you can pull off red." With that, Cheryl left the girl.

Drea walked over to her friends. "What's up with the pout?" Kevin asked as Drea sat next to Jughead.

"I kind of owe Cheryl for something, and now she's making me go to the dance." Drea sighed.

"Wow, Drea Danvers, in a dress, I would love to see that." Veronica spoke. "Do you even own a dress?" Jughead asked from beside the girl.

Drea glared at him. "Yes. From when I was like 12." Jughead snorted as the others laughed.

"Cheryl is coming over to help me get ready. She said she hopes I can pull off red."

Betty looked at the girl. "Yeah, I think you can pull off red." Drea gave a sarcastic smile. 

Later, Drea was helping with the homecoming setup. Betty had asked her, and of course, she said yes to her friend.

She was holding the ladder while Betty put up some lights when someone came up to her.

"Hey, Drea." She turned to see a boy standing beside her. He had black hair and glasses. He fiddled with his hands, showing his nervousness.  "Do I know you?"

"No, uh, we have chemistry together, I'm Marcus, but uh, I was wondering if you wanted to go to homecoming together." The boy asked.

Drea thought about it for a second. She's never been to a dance before, but what was the harm in saying yes. Oh wait, she knew what the harm was. She now remembered the boy.

She overheard him talking with his friends in chemistry about trying to get a girl back. Drea would be used to make someone jealous.

"I'm sorry." Not really

"But I'm gonna have to pass."

"I-its fine, I totally get it." Marcus walked away towards someone else, probably to ask the same question. She rolled her eyes as Betty stepped down from the ladder. "Thanks." Betty thanked the girl. That was when Jughead came in. He gave Drea a smile as she went to help someone else.

Later that night, Drea was in her room when she got a call from Jughead. "Hey, Jug."

"Hey, Drea. I was wondering if you had a date for the dance." Jughead spoke into his phone. Throughout the day, multiple guys had asked Drea, but Drea said no.

"Uh no, I do not. Some guys tried to ask me, but I wasn't interested." Drea told him.

"Ok. I just wanted to know."

Drea raised an eyebrow. "Why do you ask?" She sat up in her bed. "Uh, no reason."

"Why Jughead Jones, were you worried about little old me?" Drea teased.

"Well, you know the guys at the school. It doesn't hurt to worry." Jughead told her, causing the brunette girl to smile.

Jughead and Drea went on to talk about random things. Jughead told Drea that Alice had invited him and his father over for dinner. Drea was a bit suspicious about that. Alice Cooper inviting them over seemed a bit out of the ordinary, but Drea could hear how excited her friend was about all of it.

While they were taking, Drea heard her mother come home. She was about to tell Jug to hold on so she could greet her when she heard hushed whispers. Drea told the boy to hold on.

Slowly, the girl stood up and made her way to her door. She carefully opened the door to see her mother pacing around the living room, her back to Drea.

"Just don't tell her anything else. I don't want her to know. Don't tell your son either, FP."

FP? Why would her mother be taking to Jugheads father.  They haven't spoken in years. Did FP lie to her?

Drea closed the door and spoke into her phone.

"Jug. Could you tell me why my mother is on the phone with your father telling him not to tell me anything else."

"That means she knows that you know about MacBook." Jughead said.

"I'm sorry, Jug. I can't wait."

"Wait, no, Drea-"

Drea cut off Jughead by hanging up the phone. She forcefully opened the door and walked up to her mother.

"Why did you lie to me?" Drea questioned.

"Drea? What are you talking about?" Isabel asked, confused, which made Drea roll her eyes. "Oh, don't pretend with me, mum. I know you weren't telling me the truth about Riverdale."

Isabel ran a hand over her face before looking at her daughter. "It's complicated, mija." Isabel spoke softly.

"Then uncomplicate it, mum!"

Isabel sighed and took a seat, motioning for Drea to do the same. "I didn't want it to come out like this baby, but I can't keep having people hide it from you. Just tell me how much you know."

Drea explained what Rose Blossom and FP had told her.

"Rose doesn't know the whole story. You see, as you know, I was dating this guy Donnie MacBook, and yes, he was a Southside Serpent, but the thing was I lived on the Northside with my family. Now, I had friends on both sides, and Penelope Blossom was one of them. My best friend, actually. Penelope and I argued because she found out I was also a Southside Serpent."

Drea's eyes widened. Her mother was a part of the Serpents. No wonder that woman in the bar thought she recognized the girl.

Isabel rolled up the sleeves of her scrubs to reveal a Sepent tattoo. Drea gawked at it slightly. "When Penelope found out she was upset that I had lied all those years, she threatened to tell everyone if I didn't break up with Donnie. I loved Donnie, and I couldn't just break up with him. One night, I went over to talk with him. I brought FP with me in case of anything. Donnie had slight anger issues. FP and I went over to his trailer, and" tears formed in Isabel's eyes.

"When we knocked, there was no answer, so we went in, but when we did Donnie, he was lying on the floor, a gun shot wound to the head. I-i broke down. I didn't know what to do. FP kept me away from the body and pulled me away, but it was all too clear. My first love was shot dead.

I just couldn't handle that. I lost my best friend, and I lost my first love. FP stayed, and I couldn't blame him, but I had to go. It hurt me to leave my best friend, but it hurt me more knowing I was in the same town Donnie died in." By now, Isabel was sobbing. Drea pulled her mother into a hug. "It's ok, mom. It's ok." Drea cooed.

"I-i came back thinking it would be better maybe everything changed. Maybe you could build a better life here. Turns out it all was worse." Isabel cried.