Not A Date

Chapter six: Not A Date

"This is how my dad had his Jason Blossom murder board before it was trashed." Kevin said as Drea sat with Jughead and Betty in the Blue and Gold office.

"Any leads on who did that or what they were looking for?" Jughead questioned.

"Nope. No fingerprints. They stole a bunch of files, background checks, and all the video and audio tapes of police interviews."

Drea chewed the bottom of her pen as she examined the murder board. That morning after saying bye to Jughead, Drea did background checks on a few suspicious people in Riverdale, including Jughead's father and Hermione. She decided that if the whole journalist thing didn't work out, she would be a private investigator. Either that or a cop.

A knock on the door interrupted her thoughts. "Hey, Betty." Trev Brown greeted as he entered.

"Trev. Hi." She said with a smile.

"Sorry to interrupt." Trev apologized.

"Uh no, it's ok. We're just uh working on uh-"

"Our murder board." Drea and Jug finished for her. 

Trev gave the two a weird look before looking back to Betty.

"Well, I just wanted to make sure we were still on for tomorrow." Trev explained why he was there.

"Absolutely. It's a date."

Drea raised an eyebrow at Betty's words.

"I mean, I'll see you there. Bye." Betty said awkwardly.

"See ya." Trev smiled and waved, backing out of the room.

"Going on a date with Trev." Drea said with a smirk. "Does Mama Cooper know about that?" Kevin asked his best friend.

"Kev, I'm not on house arrest." Betty told him. Drea and Kev gave her a look.

"Ok, she's out of town at a woman in journalism spa retreat. It's not a date date." Betty said.

"You just called it a date. You literally said it's a date." Jughead told her. Drea noticed a change in his behavior.

"That's just my cover. Really, it's an intelligence gathering mission. We should focus on the one thing we have access to that your dad doesn't have the kids at Riverdale High. You know, maybe Trev knows things about Jason that he didn't think were important." Betty explained.

Drea liked that idea. People tend to hide things that they feel aren't important when, in reality it may be just the missing piece.

"That's smart, Betts." Drea complimented the idea. Betty gave a small smile to which Drea smiled.

"Betty, you're positively radiating Nicholas Sparks. Tell me everything about this Trev." Veronica spoke as her, Drea, Kevin, Jug, and Betty approached Archie Andrews, who sat at the bottom of the bleachers.

"Oh, there's nothing to tell. He's just one of Betty's sources. There's nothing romantic in the offing." Kevin told her as they took a seat. Betty sat beside Archie, Veronica, and Drea behind them, and Jughead and Kevin behind them.

"Why is everything so weird here? Why can't a date just be a date?" Veronica questioned.

"What about you, Archie? How's life in a PG world?" Veronica questioned.

Archie looked back at her, confused.

"PG? Post Grundy. What? Too soon?" Veronica smiled, taking a bite of her chips. Drea raised an eyebrow at the girl. Archie looked at Drea, who seemed to be not phased by Veronica's words.

Drea only gave him a wide smile. The ginger slowly turned back around. "Coach Clayton says I have a shot at being varsity captain, so I'm not thinking about anything else right now." Archie told her.

"You're back to being boring."

"Are you maybe throwing yourself into football as a way to avoid your feelings." Betty guessed.

"I'm not avoiding anything, Betty, and I'm getting my life back on track." Archie expressed as Valerie came up to them.

"I can help with that. I know Ms. Grundy was tutoring you." Valerie said to Archie.

"Understatement of the year." Veronica voiced quietly. Drea smirked as she took a fry from Jug, who gave her a weird look, seeing as she had her own. She gave him a playful wink, to which he playfully rolled his eyes.

"But there's this amazing song writer from New York he's an adjunct at Carson College incredible mentor. He does some coaching on the side, and I told him about you. Do you wanna meet him?" Valerie offered.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'd love to, but football..."

"No! Archie can, and he will."

"Call if you will, but do it soon, his spots full up fast." Valarie told Archie as she placed a paper in his jacket pocket.

"Thank you, Val."

"Ok, now you have zero excuse for avoiding music." Betty smiled at him. Cheryl came up to the six.

"Sorry to interrupt sad breakfast club, but I'm here to formally invite you to Jason's memorial this weekend." Cheryl handed out invitations.

She gave Drea a smile as she handed her an invite. Drea only raised an eyebrow.

"I hope you can make it Dre-Dre." Cheryl gave her a smile before turning to Veronica.

"Mother is in charge of the guest list, so in case you're tempted to steal our silver candle sticks, don't . We'll be searching bags." With that, Cheryl turned to leave

Drea wasn't sure why Cheryl was being so friendly with her, but her behavior towards Drea's new friends made it harder for her to let Cheryl in as a friend.

From what she'd heard Cheryl was a mythic bitch even before the death of her brother.

"Hey try to remember, she is burying her brother." Betty told her.

Drea sighed. Losing someone like that was heart breaking. Especially your twin.

Later Drea walked into the student lounge where Jug told her to meet him and Betty. "Why would he have to run away from mommy and daddy?" She heard Jughead say as she entered.

"Because they're monsters." Betty said. Drea assumed they were talking about Jason. "Yeah, but why specifically?"

"Hate to break it to you stalker, but we can't exactly ask the Blossoms why their son ran away from home." Drea told him, sitting next to Betty.

"So we have to ask Jason." Jughead said.

"And he's snapped." Drea whispered to the Blonde beside her.

"Are you proposing a seance or?"

"No. Dead men tell no tales but the bedrooms. Their houses." Jug gave the two a slight smile.

Drea leaned back with a smirk, her legs crossed. "Not bad Jones. Not bad at all."