s5- Its a new day

As they stepped into the hospital, a palpable tension hung in the air, their footsteps echoing down the sterile corridor. John, Jamie, and Beth moved in unison, their expressions a mix of apprehension and anticipation.

Upon entering the room, their eyes were drawn to the sight of Monica and Kayce, cradling their precious newborn son. Despite the recent ordeal of a car accident during labor, the relief was evident on their faces as they gazed adoringly at the tiny bundle in their arms.

John, his voice filled with warmth and curiosity, broke the silence. "So, what's his name?"

Kayce, his own gaze filled with pride and love, looked up at John. "His name is John," he replied, a sense of reverence in his tone. A shared glance passed between Kayce and Monica before Kayce added, "John Spencer Dutton."

Beth's lips curved into a smile, though her eyes betrayed a hint of sorrow beneath the surface. "He's beautiful," she murmured softly, her voice catching in her throat.

Feeling the weight of emotion in the room, John reached out, gently clasping Beth's hand in his own, offering silent support as she struggled to contain her emotions.

Sensing the need for a moment alone, Beth excused herself from the room, her steps faltering slightly as she made her way into the hallway. Leaning against the cool, sterile wall, she closed her eyes, allowing the tears to fall freely, the weight of the moment pressing heavily upon her shoulders.

---

In the quiet stillness of the ranch's barn, Rip's heavy footsteps echoed against the wooden walls as he made his way inside. His heart felt heavy with the weight of impending grief, knowing that he would soon confront a painful truth.

As he entered, a strange noise caught Rip's attention, drawing him closer to Lucy, Spencer's cherished horse. The sight that greeted him tore at his heartstrings — Lucy lay on the ground, her once vibrant form now still and silent.

Approaching the horse with gentle care, Rip's hands trembled as he stroked Lucy's mane, feeling the familiar braid that Spencer had lovingly woven into it. His heart constricted with sorrow as he realized the severity of Lucy's condition.

With a heavy heart, Rip knew what he must do. Taking a deep, shuddering breath, Rip knelt beside Lucy, his eyes reflecting the depth of his anguish. "I'm so sorry," he whispered, his voice choked with emotion. "She wouldn't want you to suffer."

Trembling hands reached for the rifle, Rip's fingers tracing the familiar contours with a sense of resignation. Closing his eyes against the pain, he offered a silent prayer, seeking solace in the midst of overwhelming grief.

With a trembling resolve, Rip raised the rifle, his heart heavy with the weight of his decision. In a moment of anguished clarity, he pulled the trigger.

The deafening sound of the gunshot reverberated through the barn, shattering the fragile peace of the space.

Gazing upon Lucy's lifeless form, Rip felt his heart break anew, the loss of his daughter's beloved horse weighing heavily upon him. In the solitude of the barn, he allowed himself to succumb to the waves of grief that threatened to engulf him.

In the aftermath of Lucy's passing, Rip remained in the barn, his silent tears a testament to the depth of his grief. The other wranglers, observing his solitude and understanding the weight of his personal loss, made a collective decision to give him the space he needed to mourn.

Outside the barn, Lloyd's voice cut through the somber atmosphere, his words tinged with a mixture of sadness and resolve. "You boys go dig a hole," he instructed the wranglers, his tone firm yet sympathetic.