s4-Diner girl

A few days have passed since Spencer's hospital visit. Since then Beth's uneasiness and agitation have escalated, her mind consumed with thoughts of revenge against Market Equities and anyone who wanted to harm her family. With calculated precision, she orchestrated her plans.

Before leaving for the day, Beth made her way downstairs to check on Spencer, her heart heavy with worry. She found Spencer snuggled up on the couch, engrossed in a book and munching on a donut. Gator had been spoiling Spencer lately, making all her favorite foods. 

Beth sat down next to Spencer, her expression softening as she took in her daughter's presence. "Hey, baby girl," she greeted, trying to mask her inner turmoil. With a playful grin, she leaned over and plucked a bite of donut from Spencer's hand.

Spencer's face lit up at the sight of her mother. She leaned in and planted a kiss on Beth's cheek, snuggling into her side. "Hi, mama!" she chirped, her voice filled with warmth and affection.

Beth held Spencer close, savoring the moment and wishing she could freeze time. Reluctantly, she released her grasp knowing she had to leave.

"Okay, I have to go now, baby," she said softly, her voice tinged with regret. "But you can call me anytime, okay?"

Spencer let out a small whine, "Do you have to go, mama?" she pleaded, her eyes wide with longing.

Beth stood up and gently rubbed Spencer's cheek with her thumb, "I'll be back before you know it," she playfully showered Spencer's face with kisses, her love overflowing. "I love you so so much, sweet P."

Spencer settled back into the couch, a small smile playing on her lips. "Love you more, mama!" she called after Beth.

Making her way out the door, Beth couldn't help but shout back, "Love you most!" Her words lingered in the air. 

Moments later, the telephone rang, its shrill tone cutting through the silence of the lodge. With no one else around to answer it, Spencer hurried over to the phone, her curiosity piqued.

"Hello? Yellowstone Ranch, Spencer Hope Dutton speaking," she greeted, her voice filled with youthful enthusiasm.

On the other end of the line, Jamie's chuckle reverberated through the receiver. "You sound a little too young to be working at the ranch," he remarked teasingly.

Spencer's face lit up with delight. "Uncle Jamie! It's you! I miss you so—" Her words were cut short as her grandfather, swiftly plucked the phone from her grasp.

"Penny, your dad wants you to meet him at the barn," John interjected, gesturing for Spencer to leave the room.

Disappointed but obedient, Spencer nodded and made her way out the door, leaving John alone with the phone.

John's expression grew serious as he turned his attention back to the call. "Yeah?" he answered, his tone guarded.

Jamie wasted no time getting to the point. "We need to meet," he stated bluntly.

"About what, I wonder," John mused aloud.

There was a brief pause before Jamie responded, his voice tense. "Is there a time that works?" he inquired.

"You know where the ranch is. Come by whenever," John replied, his tone clipped.

But Jamie was adamant. "I'd prefer a neutral site," he insisted.

With a hint of frustration, John retorted, "The ranch is a neutral site."

"Not for me," Jamie shot back, his voice tinged with bitterness.