s4- Not too good at goodbyes

At the hospital, Beth and Rip sat anxiously in the waiting room, their minds consumed with worry for Spencer. When the doctor finally emerged, their hearts raced with anticipation.

The doctor's expression was somber as he delivered the news. "I'm afraid Spencer's condition is quite severe," he began, his tone heavy with concern. "Her lungs have not fully recovered from the damage from the smoke inhalation. We need to put her on the lung transplant list as soon as possible."

Beth's hand tightened around Rip's as she absorbed the gravity of the situation. Rip's jaw tightened with concern, his thoughts racing. "What are her chances?" he asked. 

The doctor sighed heavily before replying, "For a seven-year-old with this much lung damage, the road to a lung transplant is indeed a challenging one. Pediatric lung transplants are relatively rare, and finding a suitable donor can be incredibly difficult."

Beth's heart sank at the doctor's words, her mind reeling with fear for her daughter's future. "What can we do?" she asked, her voice filled with desperation.

The doctor hesitated before answering, choosing his words carefully. "Right now, all we can do is wait. Spencer's condition is stable for the time being, but if she exerts herself too much before she receives a match there is not much we can do."

Beth's eyes brimmed with tears as she looked at Rip, her heart aching for their daughter. "How much time does she have?"

The doctor's response was grim. "Without a transplant, over time many complication could occur. Her organs could start to fail, or her lungs may collapse. I am sorry I cannot give you a definite answer," he admitted. "It's imperative that we find a donor soon."

"Can we take her home?" Beth asked, "There's nothing more you can do for her here, is there?"

The doctor nodded in agreement. "Yes, I believe she should be in a familiar environment," he replied gently. "But it would be best if she takes it easy for a while, nothing too strenuous." 

On that note, they parted ways with the doctor and headed to Spencer's hospital room.

As Beth and Rip walked into Spencer's hospital room, their hearts were heavy with worry. They sat on either side of her bed, offering her comfort and support.

"I want to go home," Spencer murmured, her voice weak but determined.

Beth leaned in and gently kissed Spencer's hand. "We'll be home soon, sweetheart," she assured her, her voice soft and soothing.

Rip smiled at Spencer, his eyes filled with love. "And maybe we can have some ice cream when we get back," he suggested with a playful grin. "How does that sound, cub?"

"With peanut butter M&Ms?" Spencer smirked.

"Of course." Rip playfully ruffled her hair.

Spencer's face brightened at the idea. "That sounds awesome," she replied, a hint of a smile tugging at the corners of her lips.

But then, with furrowed brows, Spencer turned to her parents, her eyes filled with uncertainty. "Am I going to be okay?" she asked, "The doctors all seem so sad when they are around me, and so do you guys." Her voice trembling slightly.

Beth and Rip exchanged a meaningful glance, silently communicating their shared concern. Beth fought back tears as she leaned in to hug Spencer tightly. "Yeah, don't worry you're going to be just fine, baby," she whispered, her voice thick with emotion, before pressing a gentle kiss to Spencer's cheek.