s4-Just hold on

In the stillness of the night, Beth awoke with a start, an unsettling feeling coursing through her. She turned to her side, her gaze falling upon Rip and Spencer, both sleeping peacefully. But something felt off. Beth's eyes fixated on Spencer, her chest barely rising and falling with each breath.

Worry creeping in, Beth reached out to gently nudge Spencer. "Penny? Hey, sweet P, can you wake up for mommy?" Her voice was soft, filled with concern, as she tenderly rubbed Spencer's cheek.

Rip stirred from his slumber, his voice laced with concern. "Hey, everything alright?"

Beth sat up, pulling Spencer onto her lap. "Rip, something's wrong. She's not breathing right, and she won't wake up."

Rip joined in the attempt to rouse Spencer. "Hey cub, time to wake up now, okay?"

Beth's breath hitched as tears welled in her eyes. "Come on, baby."

With urgency, they contacted the doctor, who advised, "She is still breathing, which is a good sign," the doctor reassured them, "It's best you bring her into the emergency room so we can take a better look at her."

Without hesitation, Rip and Beth rushed Spencer to the hospital.

When they arrived at the hospital, Spencer was promptly rushed into the ICU, leaving Rip and Beth anxiously waiting in the stark, sterile waiting room.

As the hours passed and the sun began to rise, a sense of unease settled over Rip and Beth, gnawing at their nerves like an insistent itch. Their worry only intensified when the doctors emerged from the ICU, their expressions grave and somber.

The lead doctor stepped forward, his voice heavy with concern as he delivered the news. "Spencer is in critical condition," he explained, his words laden with the weight of the situation. "She's experiencing severe respiratory distress. Her lung function has deteriorated to the point where she has suffered from severe hypoxia, causing her to fall into a coma."

Beth's heart clenched, "When will she wake up?" she implored, her voice trembling with emotion. "Can we see her?"

The doctor hesitated, his expression pained. "I can't say for certain," he admitted, his tone filled with regret. "We don't know how long she was truly low on oxygen. So we cannot make any suggestions on if....when she may wake up."

The doctor's words hung heavy in the air, casting a somber mood over the couple. The doctor informed them, "We can only have one visitor at a time in the ICU."

Beth's eyes brimmed with tears as she turned to Rip, her voice choked with emotion. "I think you should go be with her," she murmured, her words tinged with anguish. "I need to... I need to take care of something."

Rip's grip tightened on Beth's arm, his concern evident in his gaze. "Beth, she's gonna need you when she wakes up," he insisted, his voice laced with urgency. "You promise me you're gonna be there."

Beth pressed a tender kiss to Rip's lips, her touch lingering with unspoken promises. "She'll be with you till I am," she whispered before pulling away and leaving the hospital, her heart heavy with worry and determination.

---

In Jamie's office, his assistant alerts him. "You have a visitor," she informs him.

Jamie, puzzled, responds, "I don't have an appointment."

"Not an appointment. A visitor." she clarifies.

"A visitor?" he questions, his expression guarded.

Jamie enters his office and is taken aback to see Beth waiting for him.